cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My area hits utilisation

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So getting high spikes when my connection is idle.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0ce3e6306e5de1f4976dbc8656e27d02fb1d2acf-23-03-2021  

Still it could be worse.  

---------------------------------------------------------------
53 REPLIES 53

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its like one people joined and now getting spikes, VM will likely not class this as utilisation until it gets worse.😞 

My Broadband Ping - BQM

I feel quite fortunate with mine (below)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 They can QoS the downstream fine it seems maybe because its before it hits sending it down Docsis but for upstream each channel has a given amount of bandwidth so why can't each upstream handle the scheduling for modems send data as a QoS its like the upstream has no QoS at all and people sending data get all the upstream bandwidth....

Errrm....no, no and sadly not.  The only QoS that would help you would be that built into DOCSIS 4's low latency standard, and VM won't be rolling that out until a few years after the DOCSIS 3.1 roll out completes (if at all - they may never deploy D4, and even then don't have to implement the Low Latency aspect).  The causes of over-utilisation are that capacity is built in when a network is constructed or subject to large and expensive changes, so altering that is slow and expensive (and often uneconomic for VM), and as Z92 commented, the DOCSIS 3.1 standards hard coded the Download/Upload capacities at roughly 10/1, which seemed a reasonable choice at the time (circa mid 2013, when customers though 802.11n was fast). 

Whilst VM have handled the current spate of utilisation faults very poorly in terms of admitting, explaining, and offering customers suitable choices, there isn't actually much they can do in the near term to increase capacity.  In a few areas they can resegment a coax network to eliminate the problem, but that's far more complicated than it sounds and relies upon there being available capacity elsewhere on the local network.  Or if it's a big enough area affected they will invest millions to resolve it with additional capacity improvements - but they'll only do that if there's a financial return and planning and delivery resources are available, but they're thin on the ground at the moment.  You can argue VM should have built in more raw capacity in the first place as that would overcome the 10/1 limitation by increasing both upstream and downstream bandwidth, that comes back to decisions made many years ago, and even then building surplus capacity before there is a demand is a good way for a company to go bust, as the early cable companies found. 

I do have a certain sympathy for VM's technical people, who won't like the current crop of utilisation problems any more than you do, but who really don't have any quick, low cost options to sort the problems out, and even where there is the money and will, making changes remains slow.  In some areas utilisation faults address themselves if sufficient customers leave, but that can be very slow (particularly with 18 month contracts), and if sufficient people are then hoodwinked by marketing to join VM the problem will return.

Unfortunately your options are the usual ones for over-utilisation: Put up with it and hope for change, or investigate options from other ISPs. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Sorry to hear the issue is ongoing @legacy1.

I am unable to locate your account using forum details. Have you checked here to see if this is caused by a local issue https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status#.. Have you also tried running test on your hub  there? If so, what were the results?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Akua_A wrote:

I am unable to locate your account using forum details.

Well its not like I'm hiding my IP by VPN even edit profile Personal information shows my IP fine

No nothing show up in service-status one day it can be fine the next day a ping spike out of no where sometimes just a single spike sometimes many spikes within a hour.

Used to have no ping spikes for years so I guess some uploaders are on the same channels can't really tell any more due to something you done with ping timestamps sending back three replies for one ping request.

Like many its not too bad yet and could be worse but like to keep a on going record.😟

thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Big hit on latency today!

My Broadband Ping - BQM

Hi legacy1

Thanks for posting your BQM and to let us know of the latency issues, I've had a look at your connection and equipment and the level's are all within the spec's and ranges we'd expect to see.

The Hub has been online for 6 days so before the issues in the BQM, has this continued since your post at all or has it settled down?

Rob

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

6 days you say? Your sure your looking at the right modem?

uptime.PNG

And NO a reboot will not fix this problem.

Yes level's are all within the spec's I know its just that my BQM spikes high when idle but does not happen every day.

like I said just keeping a record of the bad spikes

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
A bad day yesterday guess this will be the norm.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/fdaedcd29285fae8a032190d979cfce9c3...

Nothing wrong will my power levels and such this is likely upstream utilisation.