Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My Internet Connection keeps dropping whenever I start copying large files

Hi I am new here and might not have joined in the right place so feel free to guide me.  I have recently connected a NAS directly to my Virgin router using one of the wired connections.  The NAS has a fixed IP address outside of my DHCP range.  I have several computers, iPads and iPhones connecting via the 2G or 5G wifi SSIDs and these are mostly with reserved DHCP ip addresses.  All has been working well until recently but now all of a sudden, whenever any of my computers starts to copy a large backup file to my NAS, the transfer starts and goes a short while and then every device (wired and wireless) suddenly finds it has no connection to anything else>  Its as if the router has decided it can't cope and stops all traffic - no internet and no local access - I can still search for SSIDs and see my wifi network but no data flows.  Large file(s) being copied seems to be the triggering event, but once the network stoppage has occurred, it never comes back unless (or until) I power cycle my router.  The connection comes back after power cycling, all devices can access all their usual services UNTIL I start to copy any file that is bigger than a couple of GIGS in size - when it all goes off again.  It is not the same big file or even the same computer each time, its whenever the data being moved is a single large file.  What could I try to see if it can be fixed easily.  Or is my router is going west?

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Internet Connection keeps dropping whenever I start copying large files

The virgin router is the most basic box there is, I'd connect all your devices with a standalone switch and connect that to the router, but it sometimes doesn't like switches either and gets confused, so the most reliable thing you can do is buy your own WiFi router and put the virgin box into modem mode. I wouldn't be surprised if it's faster, too. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Z92.  I was hoping t be pointed to some setting r other that needs changing. Replacing the wifi and routing function with another router seems a bit more hassle than I expected.  Perhaps I'll ask Virgin to give me a new router to see if that solves it.  After all everything worked fine until a few days ago - including big file transfers - so I kinda think this a a developing fault rather than a completely natural phenomenon you can blame simply on the very basic nature of the virgin router.  Thanks for there feedback tho'

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If it worked fine a few days ago I'd try the pinhole factory reset to see if that does anything. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have discovered the root cause was a WiFi  issue generated by an unknown nearby WiFi source.  My router was set and has been for ages on specific 2.4GHz and 5GHz  channels originally chosen to avoid interference with neighbours WiFi. A new neighbour has had his WiFi set up in the last week and it seems his WiFi was having a bad effect on my WiFi.  I was fiddling with settings and try anything to improve matters and set channels back to “auto” and my problems have gone away - and so I am happily back to successful large file copies over WiFi again.

thanks for offering the assistance - all is now well 🙂

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I spoke too soon - my fix didn't last very long so wasn't the fix I thought it was.  I am back to losing WiFi very frequently whenever moving significant amounts of data.  Have found the wired connections stay up the whole time.  Unfortunately the infrastructure at my house means I have to use "HomePlug" system to get wired connections around my house and although these do give me usable connections, they are exceedingly slower than the wifi when the wifi is working.  As soon as I move big files around over wifi both the 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs stop propagating traffic of any sort, although I can often still "see" them with my iPhone they cannot be connected to.  Only the wired slow connections will work until I can reboot the route.  It must be an issue with the router so I am open again to suggestions if anyone thinks I can do any more myself towards fixing this annoyance.

I am getting Psych'd up to the idea of complaining to VM Tech Support that my Hub2 has developed a fault but want to be reasonably confident that this is the issue before raising this with them,

Any Ideas anyone?

Steve

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If Wired connections are ok you could do what I (and many others) do and put the SH2 in modem mode and get your own router and wireless equipment. Not had a wifi drop off in years !

You could try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme - see the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3's.

If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then come back here for more assistance.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Hero
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can you give us the layout of your house and where are the devices located.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

thank you so much for the information that VM are actively encouraging SH2 users to upgrade to SH3's.  They aren't trying very hard I fear as I haven't heard about this until you said this was the case.

Anyway, a new hub was what I was hoping for  all along since mine started playing silly [REMOVED].  Unfortunately as you suspected might happen, following your link took me to a signing in prompt and after signing in I got as expected the "Oops something went wrong, we are unable to change your package online" message.

Do you have any further guidance?  Is it a case of ringing 150 a reporting a fault after all, perhaps.

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

although it might have some value to give the layout of my home network, I don't feel it will be relevant as the system has been working perfectly OK for several years and nothing has changed in the locations of network equipment in all that time.  My NAS is connected at the router by cable and the router is where its always been.  The comings and goings of wifi connectivity are affecting kit that has also been here for several years trouble-free.  So in reality nothing structurally has changed at all which makes me confident whatever is going on is inside the router.  Any fix I can hope for is either going to be by changes to the router's settings which you or others might recommend trying, or by it's substitution with another device.

My gut feel is for the latter and another correspondent has helpfully give a pointer to the VM upgrade plan for replacing Hub2s with Hub3s and I am going to try heading down that route.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos