Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mulitple Household Line Quality

Hello. 

My issue is affecting my Microsoft Teams calls and software accessing my works network..
Due to COVID I am working from home and the Teams voice call quality is horrendous and software continuously failing to load properly due to latency and packet loss etc.

Even talking just one to one is unbelievable. More than one person in a meeting and my line simply can't cope.

Interestingly though my neighbour is suffering the same issues and we both loose connection at the same time. Which makes me think its something to do with the junction box / outside line.

To try resolve the issue I have reset the router / both ethernet & wifi / different headsets.

But because two households are suffering drop outs at the same time I dont feel it is our end causing this. In fact if you look at todays (16th) Think Broadband below we both suffered a complete drop out at 0830am.

When I the diagnostics on the HUB3 I am greeted with:
"Your home network has a few problems"

Can anyone shed some light or help?

If this can't be resolved i'll have to explore alternative supplier as working from home is looking likely to be my normal for the foreseeable future.

03 June03 June04 June04 June05 June05 June06 June06 June07 June07 June08 June08 June09 June09 June10 June10 June11 June11 June12 June12 June13 June13 June14 June14 June15 June15 June16 June (Today)16 June (Today)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mulitple Household Line Quality

Hi benjiman,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you're having. 

I have taken a look on our side and I am unable to see anything that could be the cause of this. 

Are you still having the issue since you created your post?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

Thank you for the reply. 

I have been doing more digging around and it appears to be my works VPN bottlenecking (I manage a 17mbps speed on a 100mbps line). Their VPN also has issues with wired remote working so they ask we use WiFi when home. Due to where I'm situated at home I only get a 3Mbps download due to signal strength. 

Currently looking into boosters. 

Does virgin media offer WiFi boosters? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VPN connections will slow down speeds as you’ll be bandwidth limited to that of the VPN server you’re connecting to.

I can’t see how a VPN works better over WiFi than wired unless there’s an issues with the binding order of your network cards that your IT haven’t realised or figured out? 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi benjiman

Thanks for coming back to us. We certainly do offer the boosters. If you've got a hub 3 router and a smartphone, please download the Virgin Media Connect app from the phone's app store. When downloaded, you can run a wireless scan in the property which will help identify any coverage black spots in the property and also recommend a booster if applicable.

You can find out more here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos