Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Moving the Router

Hi,

I need to replace the 1 meter coax cable to my virgin router, the cable that was installed by virgin doesn't look like anything special just a normal coax cable. I only have fibre install no TV, can i just replace the coax cable with a longer one ? 

i've read there could be a need for a virgin engineer to come out , which would be a waste of my time and theirs. 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving the Router

No, all co-ax cables must be VM supplied.

If you use unauthorised cable and it causes problems you could be charged for all the subsequent repair work.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, That seems very narrow mined from VM, Do you know what VM do to there cable to make it so special ? because coaxial cables have fairly good natural immunity to external noise so it shouldn't need anything special. 

i could understand if i had VM TV with the signals it uses but just broadband. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

John Brennand @jbrennand is the man to ask, his daughter purchased and used some 'VM Spec co-ax' and caused no end of problems not so much in his house but in the neighbourhood.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, That seems very narrow mined from VM, Do you know what VM do to there cable to make it so special ? because coaxial cables have fairly good natural immunity to external noise so it shouldn't need anything special. 

i could understand if i had VM TV with the signals it uses but just broadband. 

not narrow minded at all.
their network, their rules.

you can do anything you want after the demarcation point, but nothing before it.
all coax cables are before the demarcation point.

the TV and broadband signals come down the same cable so your argument is moot.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your knowledge ,
interesting point you bring up on demarcation point, if i understand correctly that it the connection point on my wall. So if the coax cable is plugged into that sure it counts as after ?

i don't think my point it moot either, i do not use the tv signal my cable brings to my house there for extending the cable would have no impact to said signals
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

no, the hub would be the demarcation point, not the socket on the wall.

you need to understand that your connection is essentially shared amongst the other properties in your area, so anything you do to make the connect dirty can also affect them.

bottom line is that you are not permitted to do what you want. any further discussion would be futile.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The Hub is the demarcation point.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TLDR - no you can't use your own cable

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos