Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Moving Router

My WiFi is rubbish despite having a Wifi booster downstairs.My main Hub/router is upstairs and I'm thinking about trying to get an engineer(if I ever get through on the phone to speak to anyone as unable to book an engineer online which is very frustrating) to relocate the Hub/router to downstairs.

I recently paid to upgrade to 350mps broadband but hasn't improved the WiFi connection

It's impossible to have a Teams call or Zoom call without losing the connection when trying to work downstairs with WiFi booster even with an ethernet cable connection.

Before I pay for engineer I want to check if people think that will solve my problem if router is downstairs closer to my office/kitchen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving Router

it's impossible to say if moving the location of the hub will help.
the only way you will know is if you move it and then test everything.

regardless, it'll cost you £99 to have it moved.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Upgrading your speed won’t improve the hubs poor WiFi, as you’ve found out.

Rather than spending £99 to move the hub, spend or put £99 towards a better router or a mesh system.

Or run some Ethernet cabling and install an AP downstairs. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't think there would be an ethernet cable long enough from my router to my kitchen.Sorry to ask a silly question but what is a mesh system?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Whole-Home-Mesh-Wi-Fi-Systems/zgbs/compu...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

a 100 meter cable is relatively cheap, and i would bet that would be long enough to cover the distance.

mesh wifi - https://uk.pcmag.com/wireless-networking/87178/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is a mesh a big improvement on the Virgin Media wifi booster as that hasn't helped much?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Probably in the region of 1000% better.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Following this post (and other similar ones) with interest, as I am in a very similar position.

My house is quite new, but built with double brick walls throughout; even interior walls. It's like a bloody nuclear bunker! When we had Virgin installed, it made sense to put the router in my home office, which is at a far end of the house. But now I am retired, that is the very worst place I could have it. I have invested in one wifi "guaranteed solution" after another, and now have FIVE mesh discs littered around the house. I still struggle with signal quality in some rooms. So the idea of moving the router to the living room, which is more centrally positioned, seems to make great sense - even at £99. And if I ever want to invest in Virgin's TV services, that would be much easier as well. So I can relate to pamegra's situation very well. Yes, £99 is a lot to pay for a simple job to be done. But a new Deco M5 disc will cost pretty much the same, with no certainty of success. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@pandalf wrote:

Following this post (and other similar ones) with interest, as I am in a very similar position.

My house is quite new, but built with double brick walls throughout; even interior walls. It's like a bloody nuclear bunker! When we had Virgin installed, it made sense to put the router in my home office, which is at a far end of the house. But now I am retired, that is the very worst place I could have it. I have invested in one wifi "guaranteed solution" after another, and now have FIVE mesh discs littered around the house. I still struggle with signal quality in some rooms. So the idea of moving the router to the living room, which is more centrally positioned, seems to make great sense - even at £99. And if I ever want to invest in Virgin's TV services, that would be much easier as well. So I can relate to pamegra's situation very well. Yes, £99 is a lot to pay for a simple job to be done. But a new Deco M5 disc will cost pretty much the same, with no certainty of success. 

In your situation you'd be better running some wired AP's if the walls are as you say they are.