Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Move hub 3

I would like to move my hub 3 to get a better coverage in my bungalow, but when installed only one meter of cable was used between the outside connection box and the hub !

somewhat limits the ability to relocate the hub 3.

any suggestions welcome, thank you.

jon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Move hub 3

Can only be done by VM and there will be a cost of £99 for a non-fault call out. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

installation fault by installer by only using 1 mt of cable.
jon
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No they will use whatever is needed. You should of told them where you wanted it.
As the install was done this is a non fault callout and will require a engineer at a cost of £99.

you can't do this work yourself as it's against the T&C

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

not helpful, engineer said behind the television will be ok , time moves on , advice from vm to improve coverage , move it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you can argue with them and they well agree to move it for free if you push but at the moment they will not come out if the internet is working as it is although not well

wait until lockdown is over - if they do insist on charging £99 you would be better leaving it where it is and buying a 3rd party router - put the hub into modem mode and site the router where you want it - wifi will be much better than anything VM can do by moving the hub

one cable between hub and router that will be easier to hide than the coax that would be needed to move the hub

Tony
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You  might get lucky and the forum staff might pick this up and be able to get a longer cable mailed out to you - this does sound like VM should not have installed the hub in a corner, shielded by the TV, that's always a very poor position for any wireless router.  Our experience in this forum is that the supposedly VM compatible cables offered on sites like eBay aren't always suitable and can sometimes cause serious network issues, so I'd strongly advise against that, even though it looks like a bargain.

If VM won't send a suitable cable, then a cheaper option than paying a hundred quid for VM to move the hub would be to buy your own wireless router, for £33 or so such as the TP-Link Archer C50, and a Cat 6 ethernet cable for £2-3 to connect that to the hub, and you then turn off the wifi from the hub and use the new router.  That should also get you better wifi than the VM hub provides regardless of position.  If you want to do this but aren't comfortable with setting up a new router and connecting to the hub, we can offer advice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

i am paying top dollar all ready, not looking to add to the cost, by buying a new hub,
what about the new hub 4 ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 is for Gig1 customers only and it’s no better than the Hub3 - even when in the same position as the Hub3.

Are you after the hub being moved or trying to get a “free hub upgrade”.

Virgin will only install in an easily accessible during the lockdown. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

i am only acting on the advice offered to me by vm to help improve wifi coverage 

0 Kudos