Menu
1plus1n
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Modem

Been having a few issues with my hub3 modem in the past months keep having to reset it getting a bit cheesed off doing it and yesterday the box light turned green and would not work. So i did a service status and it said there were no issues internet wise and do the usual which i did but it still stayed green then it turned Red which indicates the box is hot/heating up.  

So switched the box off for about 3-4 hrs and it started working but for how long who knows.

Then earlier today one of my Sons phoned asking me about the issues i was having and he told me his box had the green light set up issue so we did a reset 3 times b4 it started working again he says he has been getting really slow internet issues lately especially playing games on his PS.

His box is a new box virgin sent out so i am wondering  is there issues with these hub3 boxes and would it be better long run getting your own modem ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem

I assume you mean the VM Hub - it has a modem inbuilt - as well as a router and wireless equipment. You can only ever use the Hub modem to connect to the internet with VM - but you can do as I and many others do and swithch the Hub into "Modem only" mode and get your own better quality router and wireless equipment.

Is it just wifi connections that are problematic? What happens on a computer/laptop that you connect directly to the Hub by ethernet cable? Does that stay connected when the wifi issues arise?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
1plus1n
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sometimes the wired works when the wi/fi does not but my main concern is the amount of times the actual hub3 box just seems to not work and as i said the red light indicator came on which indicates the box is heating up or is hot. Having to try and reset it more times than i am happy with is becoming a bit of a regularity.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So is the Hub light on red continually now?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media don't support the use of your own modem. You have to use their supplied Super Hub for this purpose. You can however, set the Super Hub to modem mode and connect your own router for these duties.
0 Kudos