Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode with Nest Wifi bad connection

Hi all, 

i know much has been written in this forum about modem mode but I can't get it to work reliably with the Nest wifi. Devices connected via wifi have intermittent internet access but it drops all the time.

I have tried all various orders of turning on and off , modem mode on /off, resetting etc. but i can't get the internet part of the connection to remain stable.

When i go into my nest wifi app, i can see that my nest router is receiving a WAN ip that is external i.e. 92.239. etc... 

The router also has an internal LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 and its DHCP range is set to  192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.100. 

So on paper this all looks as it should, correct? 

However,  I can still access my Hub 3 (in modem mode) via 192.168.100.1 - i don't understand how that is possible and assume that is the problem? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem mode with Nest Wifi bad connection

192.168.100.1 is the correct address to access the hub in modem mode.

Have you checked for updates for the Nest WiFi?

One was released recently that resolved some connectivity issues. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yeah it updates automatically so no problem with the software. 

I have also just tried putting the Hub 3 back to router mode but my nest router now carries WAN IP of 192.168.0.11 (via DHCP from Hub 3) and LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 as per the settings in the Nest app. 

I don't think that is right either.  

I don't know what to do 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Google WiFi has never been particularly fast or reliable.

Theres better (and cheaper) ones out there. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When in router mode with the hub wireless disabled does your wireless by Nest work fine? if so likely a problem with the IP your getting in modem mode try connecting a PC to the hub in modem mode (power off for 2mins) and see if your connection is fine by wire before copying your PC MAC to your Nest WAN settings using the clone option with your PC to the Nest then connect the Nest to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, sorry can I clarify: 

When in router mode [what device in router mode - the hub?]  with the hub wireless disabled does your wireless by Nest work fine [no not if all other options stay the same and i only switch the hub from model to router. for this setup to work i would presumably need to change a ton of options in the nest - for example is the DNS in the nest router then the Hub 3 (192.168.0.1) or 8.8.8.8? Is the WAN to be set to DHCP, which it should get from the Hub 3 I guess? And what should i use as LAN range that the Nest broadcasts downstream, presumably not the same range that the Hub 3 dishes out?]? if so likely a problem with the IP your getting in modem mode try connecting a PC to the hub in modem mode (power off for 2mins) and see if your connection is fine by wire before copying your PC MAC to your Nest WAN settings using the clone option with your PC to the Nest then connect the Nest to the hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have tried the suggested solution either way - PC can now access internet directly via ethernet to modem. 

I know my PC MAC address. 

Only issue is I don't know where I would put this into the nest - there is no hardwire interface (all done via phone app) and when I connect to the nest router i am only able to set ip and subnet etc for WAN - i can't really put a MAC address anywhere unless I'm missing something? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Maybe it be best to get a simple router...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos