cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem mode problem

Magicman123456
Joining in

I have 1Gb broadband coming in to my Virgin Hub 4. I have it set in modem mode so I can use a mesh network for wider coverage. In the past, I have used Amplifi HD and set up and stability have been fine. To take advantage of WiFi 6 I recently changed to a Tenda Nova MX 15. I have followed all advice about setting it up, including powering down the Virgin hub once it's in set to modem mode, powering up the new router, waiting till it is stable, and then connecting the WAN port to the hub, but try as I might I cannot get an internet connection. The Tenda Nova suggests the connection is Dynamic IP, rather than Static IP or PPoE, but it can never establish a connection.

However, if I do the same thing with the Amplifi HD, and then run an ethernet cable from that to the Tenda Nova router, the internet connection is immediately recognised on the new router and is fine, with no significant loss of speed. That would all be fine, even though there's an unnecessary router in the middle, on a different subnet, except it is impossible to turn off the WiFi channels on the Amplifi HD, and they cause significant interference with my Sky Q boxes, which I cannot hardwire for logistical reasons. The setup process has worked with every other router I have ever tried, including the earlier Tenda Nova MX 12.  

Can anyone suggest why it might not be working, or a way to connect the MX 15 router to the Virgin 4 Hub without needing the Amplifi HD as an intermediary? I have tried all ports, different cables, everything, with no joy. Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Magicman123456 wrote:

that should work?

yes

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The pain that is mesh and seemly not working why routers with a fixed WAN port are better.

There is a MAC change that needs to happen which you do this by power off hub for 2mins this should then allow the Tenda Nova MX 15 to get a WAN IP under its MAC.

Should the above not work copy your WAN MAC from Amplifi HD to your Tenda Nova MX 15 then it will work.

g0akc
Problem sorter

It sounds as if the new mesh system isn't going through the bootp process correctly for some reason, so not soliciting a new public IP address.

• Can you set the new mesh (MX15) to use only Dynamic IP (the other protocols are not used on VM with hub 4)
  • A different setup/power cycle sequence ? - just reboot the hub 4 when the mesh and everything is connected?
  • Is MAC cloning available on the MX15?  Set the MAC to be the same as the old system
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Magicman123456
Joining in

Thanks. I have tried powering down the Virgin Hub before in the existing setup, and it made no difference. But I have located the Amplifi HD WAN Network MAC address. So in the Tenda Nova Internet settings, Dynamic IP, Advanced settings, I leave the MTU as 1500, leave the DNS settings as Auto, and under Mac Address Clone, where the choices are Default MAC, Clone Local Host MAC, and Custom, I choose Custom and input the MAC from the Amplifi HD? Then I remove the Amplifi HD from the loop and plug the Virgin Hub into the Tenda Nova MX 15, that should work?

@Magicman123456 wrote:

that should work?

yes

Magicman123456
Joining in

Just to say thank you to legacy1 and g0akc for your helpful contributions. Very much appreciated. I haven't yet done as suggested, only because my system is currently stable and if I did I would need to spend some time reconfiguring CCTV cameras and port forwarding. If it collapses again I shall go down this route.