Menu
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 21 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem mode on Hub3 does not work

@jamesweir463 wrote:

I am trying to put the superhub 3 into modem mode I go through all the steps in the process and apply th changes the modem restarts and I get a red light and no connection I have tried logging in to 192.168.100.1 and get nothing. I have tried for hours and the same result every time.

What own router do you have for modem mode?

0 Kudos
Mwoodthorpe
Settling in
Message 22 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thnks

I have spent 5 hours trying to set up an Orbi network - trying to solve the terrible WiFi on the hub 3.

Your advice saved me. What appears so obvious to you was not to me. 

The pink light is not mentioned in the text I could find online. Now know that I am in modem mode. The software from virgin collapses when you ‘apply’ settings. 

I have unplugged the TiVo box etc and placed them into the 3 spare ethernet ports on the Orbi. 

The orbi is now syncing with it’s satellites (4 hours of pain previously), with great WiFi as advertised. So far so good. 

Family disaster averted. 

0 Kudos
RPurton1
Joining in
Message 23 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hi Virgin Media

I have just had the same problem when i tried to put my Super Hub 3 into Modem Mode i lost all my internet connection and could't even connected to the Super Hub via the 192.168.100.1 address to change it back.

After messing about for a bit a called your support team who got me to reset the Super Hub, the guy said that it should work in Modem Mode so once the Super Hub had restarted after the reset he said to try again to put into Modem Mode, but it didn't work again.

Had to reset AGAIN to get the internet back.

Can you please tell how to fix this or send an engineer round, or do you have a problem with the Super Hub 3 Firmware that needs to be fixed ?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Are you trying to get a PC or router (what model) to work in modem mode?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 25 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hello RPurton1,

Thank you for posting and welcome to Virgin Media Community. I'm sorry to hear that you having issues with your Hub 3.0 specifically on trying to get on modem mode. I appreciate you've done some troubleshooting steps for me. How's your connection now, are your still having the same issue? What specific device are your trying to connect to your Hub 3? You can check this troubleshooting page to get more information on how to resolve your hub concerns. Let us know how it goes.

Feel free to check our forum boards to find helpful tips and troubleshooting guides on all Virgin Media services.

Thanks,

Raine_G

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 26 of 51
Flag for a moderator

When a hub 3.0 is put into modem mode the base light should turn from white to magenta. If it doesn't it's faulty.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 27 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, RPurton1.

I propose this short read, it may prove helpful in getting your hub 3 to work in modem mode. This will supplement the bit of reading recommended by Raine_G, too.

She's also right by recommending a look into the forum boards. You mentioned NetGear Orbi. It might be a good idea to read about your NetGear Orbi and your Hub 3 working together on the forum.

Please let us know how it goes.
Ning_Q

0 Kudos
RPurton1
Joining in
Message 28 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raine

I am still have the same problem.

So the device i have connected is the Virgin Hub is a  "D-Link Gigabit Unmanaged Metal Desktop Switch DGS-108".

I am trying to put the Virgin Hub into Modem mode so the switch managers all the IP information, should that work ?

Here are the steps i have done.

1) Login in Virgin Hub via webpage and turn on Modem Mode

2) Wait for Virgin Hub to reset to Modem Mode

3) Internet comes back every briefly and i can access the Hub via 192.168.100.1 for a very short time

4) All Internet and access to the Hub 192.168.100.1 disappears and i can't get nothing to work

5) Virgin Hub is showing a RED Light

6) Tried plugging laptop directly in the back of the Hub with ethernet cable to try and get into the hub via the 192.168.100.1 - No Luck, tried all 4 ports

7) the only way to get the internet back is to HARD RESET the Virgin Hub by using holding down the reset for 30+ secs

😎 Get Internet back online

I tried this process twice after speaking to your telephone support line on Saturday\

Thanks

Richard

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 29 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@RPurton1 wrote:

Hi Raine

I am still have the same problem.

So the device i have connected is the Virgin Hub is a  "D-Link Gigabit Unmanaged Metal Desktop Switch DGS-108".

I am trying to put the Virgin Hub into Modem mode so the switch managers all the IP information, should that work ?

<snip>

This will not work.  You need a Router if the Hub is in Modem mode.  A switch is not a Router and will not "handle IP information"

Hub in Modem Mode ----->  Router ------> Switch

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 30 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@RPurton1 wrote:

No not with a Unmanaged Switch get a router with NAT and 1Gb ports to start with.

VM only gives you one WAN IP on one MAC

0 Kudos