Menu
Norfolkboy1111
Tuning in
Message 1 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode on Hub3 does not work

Hi,

I want to run my hub in router mode as i use a Netgear Orbi system. however when i switch the hub onot modem mode none of th ethernet ports have an internet connection. An engineer visisted yesterday and swapped over the hub and found the same problem with the new hub. If the hub is swtched back into normal mode all ethernet ports work again. The enginner left without an answer to the problem and said he didnt know what to do next

i joined Virgin 8 weeks ago and yet to have decent wifi connection in my house!

Please help!

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem mode on Hub3 does not work

In modem mode the hub becomes, just that, a modem with all routing and NAT features disabled, thus disabling all LAN ports. The top LAN port becomes a WAN port (any LAN port on the Hub 3) so you can attach your own router to provide Routing, NAT and DHCP features.

You can only connect one device to a modem, but many to a router.

To switch the Hub back into router mode use http:\\192.168.100.1 as it looks like you already know, but I am still confused why you say you want the Hub in router mode which is the same as normal mode.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 51
Flag for a moderator

In modem mode the hub 3's LED should turn magenta. If it does, the LAN ports become active and you connect one to the WAN port of the Orbi's router.

If there is no magenta light, then the hub is probably faulty.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Norfolkboy1111
Tuning in
Message 4 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Thanks the light does change to Magenta but the LAN ports do not become active and so there is no internet pass through- confirmed by a virgin engineer. and the 2nd hub did the same, pointing at a problem with by Virgin connection settings outside of my property??

0 Kudos
Norfolkboy1111
Tuning in
Message 5 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Thanks the light does change to Magenta but the LAN ports do not become active and so there is no internet pass through- confirmed by a virgin engineer. and the 2nd hub did the same, pointing at a problem with by Virgin connection settings outside of my property??

The egineer said its only the bottom port can be used when in modem mode, the online help said any port can be used!
i am also experience a lot of internet drop out when connected to the router, WIFI remains at full singal but Ipad/laptop lose intenret connect for 30 seconds every 5 mins or so.

does this all suggest that the networking to by house has not be setup correctly?
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 51
Flag for a moderator

You get internet in router mode, albeit not too good wired, but nothing in modem mode. This suggests to me that your hub is faulty, as router mode works only if the modem part of the hub works, and you've been unlucky in getting multiple faulty hubs. (It's been known for batches of faulty hubs to be delivered to VM.) Furthermore, the so-called engineer should have known this and tried another replacement hub. Furthermore, he was wrong in saying that only one LAN port is active in modem mode for the hub 3, this is correct only for previous hubs.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Norfolkboy1111
Tuning in
Message 7 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the situation. Hopefully someone from Virgin will read this and action it......

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 8 of 51
Flag for a moderator

When in modem mode, have you tried this. Plug in one PC using Ethernet to the hub and see if you get a connection.

By the way, it matters in which order you turn your equipment on. Firstly you should tune on your router and wait for it to initialise fully, then turn on your Hub3. Doing things the other way round can certainly cause problems.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
philjohn
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 51
Flag for a moderator

One more thing to try, as I had issues getting my R7800 working when the hub in modem mode ...

1. Put your SH3 back into router mode, keep your Orbi's WAN input connected to the ethernet on the SH3
  2. Reboot your Orbi
  3. Connect to the Orbi network, login to the interface and ensure it's configured to grab a DHCP assigned IP address
  4. When the Orbi connects, it should get a 192.168.0.X ip address
  5. Now reconnect to the hub wirelessly, with nothing else plugged into it except the Orbi
  6. Switch to modem mode

0 Kudos
Norfolkboy1111
Tuning in
Message 10 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I have tried connecting my laptop straight to the SH3 via an ethernet cable when its in modem mode, but i get no internet connect.

I have also tried restarting the hub whilst its in modem mode and to no avail

0 Kudos