cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Support for VOIP

Segovia123
Tuning in

Hi

I have some Yealink T46G VoIP Phones which are currently routed via a BT ADSL Broadband connection, I also have Virgin Media broadband at the same location. 

I have to force the Yealink to use the BT line as they don't connect with the service provider when routed via the Virgin connection. I can manage it as it is; however, if the BT lines goes down, I have no telephony. There is something in the Virgin Modem which is blocking the VOIP traffic. Modem is a CGNV4 model    

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

SIP ALG in some routers has been blamed for mucking up VOIP connections especially where the SIP devices use the default ports.

https://www.nextiva.com/blog/disable-sip-alg.html

We have a CISCO SPA112 Analogue Telephone Adaptor with a VM Hub 3 in Router mode, 2 SIP accounts ( numbers ) are provisioned and it works fine.

To help establish a connection, Sipgate allow some non standard ports E.g stun.sipgate.net:3478 and 10000.
UDP and RTP ports 10000 - 50000 can be used.

We use stun.sipgate.net:3478 and UDP + RTP ports in the 46xxx range.  The connections work with and without a stun server.

If you suspect stun is not working, try stun.sipgate.net:10000   a public stun server will respond to anyone.

How does this work ?   "force the Yealink to use the BT line"

Does it mean that the Yealink phones are on a different IP address range with fixed IPs and network settings that don't match on the VM network connection.

Would the Yealink phones connect on the VM connection if they were allowed to use DHCP ?

There is a Firewall with Dual WAN Capability and the phones are on a VLAN interface 4, I just route all traffic on VLAN 4 to the VBT WAN interface

The phones can connect to the VM interface, but they fail to initialize, they can't connect to the outside world.

However, if I bring them to my Home address where I also have Virgin Business Broadband, I can connect without any issues.

J

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is the VM Residential community forum, and not for the VM Hitron Business connections.  You will need to contact the VM Business helpdesk.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That "they can't connect to the outside world"  sounds more like an internal firewall / LAN config issue.

You must be joking.

I spent an hour on the Business Website this morning, I clicked on numerous pages until I got to “Do you still want to contact Support?", to which I answered "yes", and it took me back to the page that I started on.

Is that VM's Business Website ?
I get the impression the connectivity issue is between those phones and the VM modem.

Take a PC or laptop on the VM segment at the office and install a VOIP client like MicroSIP, configure it like one of your VOIP phones.
It might give you a greater insight as to where the connection is getting stuck.

Yes, it is VM Business Website

The block is definitely at the Virgin Modem, everything else stays the same IP, VLAN as soon as I redirect it to the VM WAN it fails 

Regards

John