Menu
Andy2610
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode

I've been running my Shub 3 in modem mode for a couple of years with a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router.  Today, I had problems with my connection running dog slow - 5mbps instead of 300 to 400.  Rebooted my router and it went downhill from there.

No matter what I do, if I have the hub in modem mode and the router as a router, it refuses to detect an internet connection.  Switch modem mode off, the router into AP mode and move to a port other than port 1 and it works but with all sorts of issues.

I'm struggling to diagnose whether it's the router gone flaky or the hub.  Spoke to VM support and didn't get anywhere.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem Mode

You can use any port on the hub 3 when in modem mode so try your router on another port.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Others on here are far more familiar with the broadband & WiFi-side than me, but I also use an SH3 in modem mode so I'll ask...

@Andy2610 wrote:

No matter what I do, if I have the hub in modem mode and the router as a router, it refuses to detect an internet connection.  Switch modem mode off, the router into AP mode and move to a port other than port 1 and it works but with all sorts of issues.

What are the issues?

That aside, if port-1 works then that's the connection to your router, so logic follows any connectivity problems in that scenario are down to the router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Try to reconnect it again using this sequence.

Set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway.then disconnect all cables from it and unplug it.

Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch the router on and wait for it to initialise and sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable into the VM hub.

NOW… power up the VM hub and you should get a connection after it initialises ~5'

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos