Menu
kenat79
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode

Hi - I tried to search for the answer on the community but can you advise if when the Super Hub 3 is in Modem Mode is it just the WiFi that gets turned off but DHCP still works for cabled connections? If DHCP is also disabled can a wired connection to the Hub still work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Nicholas_k
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Modem Mode

That is correct,only the bottom Ethernet is live.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

mlarsen1977
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

When you are in modem only mode only the bottom ethernet port is activated and the Wifi it disabled you will only get assigned a wan IP address as the router does not assign dhcp you would need a separate router to run multipul devices in modem only mode

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

MoakesC
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

In modem mode, only one Ethernet connection will be active. You can disable the wifi without enabling modem mode and this will leave all four ports working.

If you found this information useful or the issue was resolved, please give feedback by clicking the thumbs up Kudos icon and marking as a helpful answer.                                                                                                         

If you would like to learn more about receiving £50 of your bill please private message me.

Kind Regards          

Chris VMTech

jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

People do seem to get obsessed with DHCP, that's the very least of your worries with the Hub in modem mode since in that setup the entire NAT/routing functionality is disabled. So you can have one and only one device attached and it will get a public IP address with no firewall protection at all. What is needed is to make that one and only device the WAN side of your own router - you connect all of your devices to the LAN side (be it Ethernet or WiFi) and your router does the NAT function (and DHCP).

garywi
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is an interesting question as I was wondering the same thing. On the Hub 3 GUI the help text at the top of the modem mode selection states that it disables WIFI but from the responses here I guess that’s incorrect and the whole router function is disabled as you would expect from the description. 

0 Kudos
garywi
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is what is says “Modem mode disables the WiFi feature of the Hub 3.0, so you can connect your own wireless router.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

HI garywi, when the Hub is in modem mode a 3rd party router could be connected. Is there any service issues you would like assistance with? - Chris. 

0 Kudos
garywi
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am considering buying a deco m5 mesh network but it’s not clear to me if I can just connect it to one of the router ports or if I need to change the hub3 to modem only mode.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Depends what you want to handle routing, DHCP, NAT, MAC filtering, parental controls etc. 

If you need all of that (and working consistently) put the hub in Modem Mode.

BUT only the one Ethernet port on the hub will work (which the Deco connected will be connected to) so if you need additional ports you’d need to connect a simple unmanaged desktop switch to the Deco. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi