cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Mode Slow Speed

Bultark
Tuning in

I have been upgraded to 1Gb and in router mode I get close to that on a wired network.

But if I put my Hub 4 into modem mode, I can't get speeds above 350Mb (using Netgear AX11000)

Is there something I'm missing or is the Virgin Hub rubbish in modem mode? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Do you mean?

"...Also make sure bandwidth and traffic monitoring [are turned off] as this slows throughout down..." 

Thank you, will try this 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Or is your Netgear AX11000 set up poorly?

Happy to take suggestions on what to check, but I'm not seeing anything obvious getting in the way

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would suggest logging into your netgear router and checking that QOS has been disabled, this is a common issue for slow speeds on high end routers

QoS is off (did try it turned on at one point just in case)

Router allows different settings for incoming speed (e.g. One port if 1Gb or use two ports if higher) tried all those settings.

One thing I couldn't get working though is putting the Hub 4 in modem mode and pluging my machine directly into it and accessing the Internet. Never seems to see the outside world, tried leaving the machine on dynamic IP and rebooted it whilst connected but still nothing. at least then I could confirm the speed from the hub and conform if the problem is the hub 4 or the netgear

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
With hub in router mode connect the WAN port of your router to the hub connect a PC to your router and do a speed test and see what you get.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you sure the hub is in modem mode? One symptom of double NAT, which you get with two routers, can be slow speed. If the VM hub is still transmitting a WiFi signal then it’s in router mode. Just for completeness I include the below:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note: this only needs doing once for each new router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Also make sure bandwidth and traffic monitoring as this slows throughout down

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Unfortunately as mentioned before when attempting this my machine never sees the outside world so can't do a speed test. 

Yes my Hub 4 is in modem mode, I log in and select Hub Mode and it reboots and I plug my router in to Port 1 on the Hub 4. Strangely though I have never been able to re-access it on 192.168.100.1 I've always had to 'reset' my Hub 4 in order to get it back into router mode.