Menu
spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Phones dropping connection

Hi

we have iPhones in the house and routinely, they are dropping connection and struggling to reconnect.

The house isn’t particularly large.  The router is located on a shelf in the living room, and the connection is dropping in the room directly above, and also the back bedroom.  Distance to front bedroom is approximately 5m through “standard” materials (plaster, wooden joists and floor boards).  Distance to back bedroom is approx 10m, though slightly tougher journey as it would include 1 brick wall.

Previous supplier (Sky) didn’t experience this issue.  When I had Virgin installed last week, I didn’t expect this issue.

any help or advice is appreciated as I have a very unhappy family right now!

Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Phones dropping connection

how high is the shelf wifi goes like umbrella if its low you will not get a good signal i put mine on 80 inch high dvd shelf it gets all down stairs of mine like 100 of it is a flat.

i hope its not behide a tv or near a landline phone that can effect wifi too or near pc as well i know virgin media routers can not cover all the house you can put wifi extender's around or you got a router is faulty that has a wifi issue

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Oomph bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The location is low, as we had an issue with the router over the weekend (which I think you kindly commented on), and the user help online said to move the router closer to the tv box.

I can move the router to a higher shelf, though the power lead may limit the height.

ive been trying to understand Mesh technology.  Would you suggest that as a way to prevent this sort of issue?  If so, the property is a “normal” 3-bed mid-terrace.  What sort of set up would be required to get decent coverage?

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Are any other devices also losing wireless coverage, or is it only iOS ones?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I would have said just iOS ones had I responded earlier, but my laptop has just had an issue with connection.  I’m currently working in the same room as the router, approx 2-3m away at the same height, with direct line of sight.

it is worth noting that all of the devices that have had the connection issue have been connected to the 5G version.  When my son (back bedroom), switched his phone to 2G, connection was stable for the time that he was up there.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@spikeysteve wrote:

it is worth noting that all of the devices that have had the connection issue have been connected to the 5G version.  When my son (back bedroom), switched his phone to 2G, connection was stable for the time that he was up there.

It'd be interestiing to see if this experience is the same across all devices.

Others more familiar with troubleshooting the Superhubs will probably have a take on this (I use my own router with the hub in modem mode), but the immediate thought is that running a WiFi analyser such as InSSIder would be a good exercise - in case of wireless interference/congestion being a factor.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello @spikeysteve.

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you are having issues with your internet connection.

I was able to locate your account using your forums details, I am unable to see your equipment as it is showing offline? Do you have your Hub plugged in at the moment? 

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hayley

our devices are always on.

thanks

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello @spikeysteve.

Okay, thank you for confirming this.

Are you using any 3rd party routers with your Hub? When connection is lost does it drop on all devices at once or just specific ones?

Please let me know.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Individual devices, around the home.  It’s happened to mobiles in the upstairs back bedroom, the front bedroom, in the downstairs living room (where the router is), with my laptop.

I have an 8-port unmanaged switch connected to the router (which essentially just gives us more wired connections at source).  I don’t believe this would cause any issues - it hasn’t done in past service providers, so I don’t expect it to here.  - just for information.

0 Kudos