Menu
Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Phone Connected to Ethernet?

I recently logged in to our Hub 3 and checked on the connected devices. I noticed one of the 2 mobile phones used by us is shown as connected to Ethernet.  I thought all Ethernet connections needed a cable and the phone itself shows it is connected to our wi-fi.  Why would the hub show the phone's MAC address is connected to Ethernet - is that even possible?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Phone Connected to Ethernet?

Is it connected to a powerline booster/extender?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We do have Powerline extenders but the phone only shows the connection as our 2.4 wi-fi connection.  I'm not really sure how the extenders work - two were installed by the VM technician when we got a second Tivo box and the Hub 3.  We also installed a 3rd one ourselves in an attempt to increase the quality of our wi-fi but we just plugged it in and blindly hoped for the best.

Are you saying that 1 phone might be connected to our wi-fi via one of the extenders and that would show up as ethernet on the Hub 3?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Correct.

Devices connected to the powerline boosters will show as being Ethernet connected.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Finnegan wrote:

Are you saying that 1 phone might be connected to our wi-fi via one of the extenders and that would show up as ethernet on the Hub 3?

It looks like that.

The connection is off an hub Ethernet port, regardless of it being Wi-Fi on your phone.

The Wi-Fi access point is connected to the hub via Ethernet/mains etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So are there any advantages/disadvantages in connecting both mobile phones to wi-fi via an extender?  How would I go about that? What about other devices in the house?  Sorry for all the questions but I try to keep things right and get the best out of our services.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Finnegan wrote:

So are there any advantages/disadvantages in connecting both mobile phones to wi-fi via an extender?  How would I go about that? What about other devices in the house?  Sorry for all the questions but I try to keep things right and get the best out of our services.

Devices should connect to the hubs own WiFi or to the extender, depending which is the best signal at their location in the property.

You can have some control over it by having different SSIDs etc. but try just leaving as is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos