forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Reply
Prothers
  • 8
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
103 Views
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Missing wifi booster

Having to post here because VM won't answer the phone and has no live chat function anymore - shambles! 

I am supposed to be getting a replacement WiFi booster sent to me but still haven't got it. Very inconvenient with three of us trying to work at home and the study being a dead zone. How am I to resolve this if I can't communicate with Virgin Media at all?!

0 Kudos
Reply
gary_dexter
  • 29.02K
  • 1.78K
  • 3.79K
Alessandro Volta
99 Views
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster

Run a cable to where connectivity is needed and install a switch or wireless access point

*****
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Reply
Prothers
  • 8
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
87 Views
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster

Thanks Gary but not really practicable here. That's why we need a powerline booster. Worked fine before it broke!

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.58K
  • 257
  • 384
Superfast
83 Views
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster


@Prothers wrote:

Having to post here because VM won't answer the phone and has no live chat function anymore - shambles! 

I am supposed to be getting a replacement WiFi booster sent to me but still haven't got it. Very inconvenient with three of us trying to work at home and the study being a dead zone. How am I to resolve this if I can't communicate with Virgin Media at all?!


Not sure that VM supply these anymore as they have been replaced with Wifi "Pods".  You may get pushed down that avenue instead.

Unfortunately, the only way to communicate with VM on the matter is going to be by phone - best chance of getting through in a reasonable timescale is by calling when lines open, either at 08:00 mon-sat or 09:00 on a sunday.

I guess it's possible the forum staff will pick this up in the next few days and make contact, but I'm not sure if they can sort out replacement boosters etc.. (hubs for sure, but don't recall seeing a post where replacement boosters have been sent out)

 

0 Kudos
Reply
Prothers
  • 8
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
81 Views
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster

Thanks, they did say it might be a pod when I spoke to them beginning of the month. Should have arrived by now! Don't know what's gone wrong with their communication, I got through ok before. Pretty poor customer service really. I just don't understand why they have disabled their live chat. Can't keep blaming COVID! Adapt and get on with it, I say!! 

tehwolf
  • 1.58K
  • 257
  • 384
Superfast
77 Views
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster


@Prothers wrote:

Thanks, they did say it might be a pod when I spoke to them beginning of the month. Should have arrived by now! Don't know what's gone wrong with their communication, I got through ok before. Pretty poor customer service really. I just don't understand why they have disabled their live chat. Can't keep blaming COVID! Adapt and get on with it, I say!! 


Pods are reportedly out of stock at the moment with estimates for new stock arrival being mid-feb/early march.. you'll waste a lot of time if you try to call them to order one before then 🙂

0 Kudos
Reply
Prothers
  • 8
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
73 Views
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster

Mid February?! They told me I would receive it by end January! What a pain! 

Thanks anyway. 

Might try to buy something on Amazon then. Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.58K
  • 257
  • 384
Superfast
71 Views
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster


@Prothers wrote:

Mid February?! They told me I would receive it by end January! What a pain! 

Thanks anyway. 

Might try to buy something on Amazon then. Any recommendations?


What;s your budget, what size of property, how many devices need to connect?

The usual suspects around here are TP-Link Deco, ASUS, Netgear and Zyxel.. 

0 Kudos
Reply
Prothers
  • 8
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
66 Views
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster

Just a laptop and a phone, about thirty metres from the hub. Hub is front of house downstairs, room is first floor at the back and a complete blackspot. I'll pay least possible for best performance, but I guess preferably under £50. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.58K
  • 257
  • 384
Superfast
54 Views
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing wifi booster


@Prothers wrote:

Just a laptop and a phone, about thirty metres from the hub. Hub is front of house downstairs, room is first floor at the back and a complete blackspot. I'll pay least possible for best performance, but I guess preferably under £50. 

Thanks 


The best option you've got, in my view, is to run an ethernet cable to the room with the black spot (go out of the house on the closest wall to the hub, up into the loft and then across to the problem room). you should either use external grade cat5e/cat6 for this, or run it through a plastic tube for the external element. You can get a local electrician to do this for you if you don't fancy it yourself.. then stick an access point on the end of it. 

Alternatively, at that budget, you're probably going to limit yourself to powerline adapters - 30 metres is a pretty long way, and any router/mesh system that's going to provide reliable service at that distance is gonna be more than that.. Problem is, power line adapters are a bit crap, and ideally want to be on the same ring main.. 

0 Kudos
Reply