cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing underground cable

Nuerye
Tuning in

Hi,

Since exactly a week ago the big chunk of optic fibre cable running under the street is missing - some workers, no idea who they were or what they were doing - cut it off. The missing cable was determined by the Virgin Technician on Friday. That means that obviously I and my neighbours have no internet connection, no TV, and literally no Virgin Services.
So my problem is that since it was discovered I keep hearing a lot of promises - first, someone was to come on Saturday, then Monday, then yesterday before the end of the day, then today between 8-12, but absolutely no one showed up and the services are still missing. I have a lot of work to do that requires me to have a working internet connection, but the speed of the Virgin Media hotspot and one other hotspot I had to pay to get access to is really bad and keep disconnecting at random.

So, how do I get someone to actually do something about the issue or tell me the truth? No services, no engineers, everyone I spoke to either promised dates that never happened or doesn't want to tell us anything. How long does it take to replace a chunk of cable that causes people paying for services to be completely cut off from them???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Nuerye wrote:

Hi,

Since exactly a week ago the big chunk of optic fibre cable running under the street is missing - some workers, no idea who they were or what they were doing - cut it off. The missing cable was determined by the Virgin Technician on Friday. That means that obviously I and my neighbours have no internet connection, no TV, and literally no Virgin Services.
So my problem is that since it was discovered I keep hearing a lot of promises - first, someone was to come on Saturday, then Monday, then yesterday before the end of the day, then today between 8-12, but absolutely no one showed up and the services are still missing. I have a lot of work to do that requires me to have a working internet connection, but the speed of the Virgin Media hotspot and one other hotspot I had to pay to get access to is really bad and keep disconnecting at random.

So, how do I get someone to actually do something about the issue or tell me the truth? No services, no engineers, everyone I spoke to either promised dates that never happened or doesn't want to tell us anything. How long does it take to replace a chunk of cable that causes people paying for services to be completely cut off from them???

thats a good question that you are unlikely to get a answer to or a full answer - you will as you have found get all sorts of lies and mistruths and thats about as good [or bad] as it will get - if it needs council permission to dig and repair things then the standard answer is 6 weeks but thats a guess - it may be longer or tomorrow - i am sure its been flagged up and has been assigned to work at a sub contractor but thats a black hole - no one talks to each other

so in short it will happen when it happens - make sure you are registered for compensation as they will not suspend your bill - they will still want to collect the DD - the compensation should cover that and more

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Nuerye wrote:

Hi,

thats a good question that you are unlikely to get a answer to or a full answer - you will as you have found get all sorts of lies and mistruths and thats about as good [or bad] as it will get - if it needs council permission to dig and repair things then the standard answer is 6 weeks but thats a guess - it may be longer or tomorrow - i am sure its been flagged up and has been assigned to work at a sub contractor but thats a black hole - no one talks to each other

so in short it will happen when it happens - make sure you are registered for compensation as they will not suspend your bill - they will still want to collect the DD - the compensation should cover that and more

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Nuerye
Tuning in

Tony, thank you for your answer.
It's really sad I can't just get the honest answer from Virgin, that would probably save them from people calling every day and being fed up with lies. Unfortunately, nothing can compensate for work I'm not able to do, but I appreciate having some actual, realistic information on the issue.
Virgin Media's tech support is absolutely outrageous and if their services didn't work so well outside the actual problem, I would absolutely not be with them anymore.

Hey @Nuerye,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your connection and trying to get some answers from the team. 

I have been unable to locate you on our system from your forum profile, have you heard anything from the team since you last posted?

Regards,

Steven_L

I am a relative of the person who is the owner of the account, but I'm the one taking care of issues.

I did hear from the team, more promises about yesterday and today coming to fix the cable, but in the end, no one fixed anything.
SL21HR is the postcode.

Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry to see you have not had any further updates on this.

I will be happy to have a look at this further for you, I'll pop you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules