Menu
mbehrsi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Migrating to wifi pods

I am thinking about installing the new virginmedia wifi pods, to get better wifi speed.

I would need to migrate from my existing setup, which is Apple Airport based ( run three of their devices with a single SSID across the house.) Right now in lockdown we are very dependent on the reliability of our wifi, and I would like to parallel run my existing apple setup alongside the new wifi pods until i know the new devices works OK. BothApople and Plume  devices claim to be smart in the way they detect interference and switch channels. Does anyone have a view as to whether to not I will be OK to parallel run the two wireless networks? My superhub is a 3.

BTW - a separate question: Virgin offer a max of three pods. If i got another pod direct from Plume, does anyone know if i can add that in to the Virgin setup without any problems? I have some awkward brick walls in the house, and i might need more than three pods.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Migrating to wifi pods

VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. Note that they are out of stock for a few weeks (at least).

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mbehrsi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

John, thanks for the quick reply. I see you also use an airport extreme. Out of curiosity: have you
decided against switching to the wifi pods?

Mark
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Oh yes! Too many "limitations" on the VM "Pods" for my liking

Could have had them on trial but I adhere to the maxim that... "if it aint broke dont try and fix it"! My Extreme & x2 Expresses are doing nicely for me (touch wood) so I leave well alone.

When they finally do go to meet their maker I will be looking at replacing them with a Wfi6 Mesh system - probably a Triband one. Lots of great options out there but a bit expensive at the moment for the full monty.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos