Menu
Just joined
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft Teams Virgin Media

We have a user on Virgin Media who is reporting issues with Teams. In the Teams admin centre, it looks as though there are large amounts of packet loss. Are there any settings that should be updated to optimize Virgin Media to work with Teams

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Microsoft Teams Virgin Media

Get that user to come on here so we can take a look at his / her set up and advise accordingly.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I second this. As the admin for our Teams tenant, when I'm on calls through Virgin Media I get up to 75% packet loss, huge delays, and a very poor call experience. If I use the same computer, same VM connection but VPN (PPTP) to a BT line 20 miles away and call someone, I get about 2% packet loss (which is barely noticeable).

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Put the hub into modem mode with your own router.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's what I was afraid of. Only router I've got lying around is a 100mb one! (Also can't believe that 100mb is now considered slow!)

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A 100mb router that provides stable teams calls will probably result in greater satisfaction (or at least productivity) tho 😂

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Buy a newer one then 🤣

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you are on the 100Mbs contract the Router will be OK, if you are on a faster contract you will be throwing money away by not utilising the WAN speed.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The TP-Link Archer C7 looks good value ATM. I've owned a V2 for more than 5 years and is been great.
I'm now thinking of getting the V5 and retiring the V2 to an AP for the garden.
The V5 also can be used as part of the TP-Link Mesh.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Teams _used_ to work fine: I've been using it on VM for the past 3 years. My main objections to buying a new router is that considering that it used to work fine, why am I suddenly having to pay extra to use it and (by extension) what if it's not a problem with the router, but a problem with VM themselves (eg a congestion / routing issue), in which case me buying a new router is going to make no difference.

0 Kudos