Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mesh network choices

Yesterday I posted for the 1st time and had some excellent responses and after also doing my own research, have decided to invest in a mesh network. 

Question now of course is which one?

I dont have £££ to spend on the best but also want something future proof. Is wifi 6 capability worth it?

For info I'm in a 3 storey house with 4 kids and many smart appliances. Also like many others now video conferencing from home (3rd floor bedroom).

What solutions do you use and what are the +/- of them?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mesh network choices

BT Whole Home is well reviewed as are some of the TP-Link Deco systems.

The Tenda Nova systems seem to disappoint many as do the Eero systems, compared to the above. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mesh network choices pt 2

Marked 1st answer from previous post as good (which it was) but now it's closed so have posted again for more answers.

Yesterday I posted for the 1st time and had some excellent responses and after also doing my own research, have decided to invest in a mesh network. 

Question now of course is which one?

I dont have £££ to spend on the best but also want something future proof. Is wifi 6 capability worth it?

For info I'm in a 3 storey house with 4 kids and many smart appliances. Also like many others now video conferencing from home (3rd floor bedroom).

What solutions do you use and what are the +/- of them?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mesh network choices pt 2

If you want the best mesh systems and are willing to pay look for tri-band mesh systems, by far the best solution ive seen for getting fast wifi everywhere around homes

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can still post in your original thread..... they don’t get closed. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Mesh-network-choices/td-p/4281718

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wifi 6 and mesh is available but pricey, but given you'd probably want a three node mesh system in a three storey house, that'll set you back around £280-300.  It will be more future proof, but on the other hand its pricey.  An 802.11ac three node mesh starts as low as £70 for a basic Tenda Nova MW3 system, and then from about £140 for a TP-LInk Deco M4 (which I've got and am very happy with) through to around £200 for TP-Link Deco M9.  Examples only, other makes also available - and check computer retailers like Ebuyer, CCL Online and Scan, don't just assume Amazon are cheapest.

So whilst I can heartily recommend the Deco M4 from personal happy experience, it was a bit of a leap of faith when I first spent money on the system.  Knowing what I know now, I'd try and see if I could stretch to the Deco X20, but that's still a shed load of cash.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Graybacon123 wrote:

Marked 1st answer from previous post as good (which it was) but now it's closed so have posted again for more answers.

@Graybacon123 As has been pointed out your original thread is not closed.  I have merged your threads as creating multiple threads for the same issue is against the forum rules.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks