Menu
Sarahwestcotes
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mesh affecting power line?

Son has had a power line connection in his room for last 3 years with no problems. Online meetings and learning for myself and daughter led us to install a Wi-Fi mesh using BT mini hubs a few weeks ago as the signal kept kicking us out of meetings and dropping out regularly.

Mesh has completely sorted the Wi-Fi issues but since then the power line connection has repeatedly failed saying it doesn’t recognise the IP address - help! 

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mesh affecting power line?

I am not an IT expert but have very similar setup as yourself 😎

I have a 1gb powerline to sons bedroom as he plays online games and 2 disc BT whole Wi-Fi.. and it works great.

Only thing I would ask is how the hub3 set? Is it modem mode or router mode with Wi-Fi disabled.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
Sarahwestcotes
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. How do I check this? 

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am guessing you never accessed the router menu therefore still at default settings with Wi-Fi on.

You need to enter this on the top browser 

sayekm_0-1613841972412.png

Enter the password at this this screen. If 1st time you will need to use the password at the base of the hub3

sayekm_1-1613841996079.png

And below should confirm Wi-Fi on or off. 

sayekm_2-1613842082834.png

............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unless you've done something to the router's configuration that has affected the Powerline's wired connection, mesh Wi-Fi shouldn't have any impact on it.

For example, my setup is SH2 in modem mode wired to AC86U router wired to TP-Link Powerline adapter (lounge to kitchen adapters) and wireless backhaul to AC68U mesh node. This is not including any of the devices that connect to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless networks or Powerline adapters.

sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am guessing OP still has Wi-Fi enabled on the hub3 if still on default mode and another Wi-Fi network with the mesh  ☹️

0 Kudos
Sarahwestcotes
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all - replacing the power line as that seems to be the problem! 

0 Kudos