Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mesh Wifi Booster

so my superhub puts out 350mbps, but the range is limited.  i attached a WIFI mesh system of 3 antennas from Tenda, but they are only putting out 80mbps?  i set it as a "bridge" and turned off the wifi output from the Superhub, but no change?  what am i missing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mesh Wifi Booster

@frankh64 wrote:

so my superhub puts out 350mbps, but the range is limited.  i attached a WIFI mesh system of 3 antennas from Tenda, but they are only putting out 80mbps?  i set it as a "bridge" and turned off the wifi output from the Superhub, but no change?  what am i missing?

If you’ve left the the hub in router mode then bridge mode is the right mode.

If you put the hub into modem mode you need to set the mesh system to router mode. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Which Tenda model did you get? Some of the cheaper ones only have 10/100 ethernet ports rather than 1GB ones, and so will never get above ~100.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It is the Tenda Nova (AC1200).  i was thinking about upgrading to one of those new WIFI6 models (Netgear Orbi Triband) but they are expensive..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

AC1200 doesn't help.  If you've bought the MW3, it's a good basic mesh system, but as @jbrennand says, it is limited by 100 Mbps ports.  What that means is that the wireless can go much faster, but the internet connection to the hub is bottlenecked at around 100 Mbps.  It's a great choice for people on 100 Mbps connections or Openreach FTTC, less so for people on faster connections.  On a 200 Mbps connection it's going to be half the speed, but may still be acceptable depending on how you use wifi.

If you can return it, do so, and get something that has gigabit ports.  There's plenty of good stuff that will do and doesn't cost as much as the Netgear Orbi.  I use a TP-Link Deco M4, that's excellent and easily maxes out my 220 Mbps line, but any TP-Link mesh would be good, excepting the Deco E4 which has the same port limitation as the Tenda Nova MW3.  There are Tenda mesh systems with gigabit ports, they'd also be fine, but I can't say which ones to go for.

If you can't return it, list it on eBay - mesh systems usually get good prices, and as I say it's great for anybody on a connection up to 100 Mbps.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Something else to bear in mind is that whilst Wifi 6 is the future, you probably won't see too many of the benefits on a sub-500 Mbps connection.  Even a mid to low price 802.11ac mesh like my Deco M4 should be good for 450 Mbps off the primary mesh unit (throughput falls away if you "chain" a series of mesh nodes).  When connecting non-Wifi 6 devices to a Wifi 6 mesh, it should have less fall off from the furthest devices, so there are benefits, whether that justifies a cost that is typically double that of an "ac" mesh only you can say. 

Always worth remembering that mesh systems are about good coverage at good speeds, not the superlative point speeds that a good standalone router can offer.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos