Menu
Duffster27
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Mesh Question

Hello

I had a 2nd line engineer visited during the week and mentioned my slow speeds/dropouts are likely to do with my WiFi showing "critical". He suggested I get a mesh network and suggested TP Link E4).

The trouble is I am currently using all 4 ethernet ports in my router on the HUB 3 (see diagram). I run a ethernet from the Hub into my loft and connect to an 8 way switch (5 ports then used). This powers 4 POE CCTV cameras and then backups to my NAS. 

today.png

Following engineers advice, I bought the TP Link (E4), however after buying 3x I noticed the 2 ethernet ports at the back only support 10/100 links and I pay for 350Mbps, so I have spent a further £50 (total £130) on the M4 versions.

However, I am beginning to question if my set up will work.

As I only have 2 ethernet ports on the back of each M4 device, I plan to put one next to Modem (1/2 ports used) then plug 1 into PC (2/2 used).

I plan to put another M4 in the loft (directly above the modem and M4 in the bedroom). In this M4, I will plug in the switch and have 4x CCTV and NAS on this.

Then I will put another M4 in the living room downstairs and connect doorbell via ethernet (currently connected upstairs in the bedroom).

proposal.png

Will this work or is it going to cause further issues? e.g. Issues with CCTV bouncing from 1 mesh to the other

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mesh Question

@Duffster27 wrote:

Hello

I had a 2nd line engineer visited during the week and mentioned my slow speeds/dropouts are likely to do with my WiFi showing "critical". He suggested I get a mesh network and suggested TP Link E4).

The trouble is I am currently using all 4 ethernet ports in my router on the HUB 3 (see diagram). I run a ethernet from the Hub into my loft and connect to an 8 way switch (5 ports then used). This powers 4 POE CCTV cameras and then backups to my NAS. 

today.png

Following engineers advice, I bought the TP Link (E4), however after buying 3x I noticed the 2 ethernet ports at the back only support 10/100 links and I pay for 350Mbps, so I have spent a further £50 (total £130) on the M4 versions.

However, I am beginning to question if my set up will work.

As I only have 2 ethernet ports on the back of each M4 device, I plan to put one next to Modem (1/2 ports used) then plug 1 into PC (2/2 used).

I plan to put another M4 in the loft (directly above the modem and M4 in the bedroom). In this M4, I will plug in the switch and have 4x CCTV and NAS on this.

Then I will put another M4 in the living room downstairs and connect doorbell via ethernet (currently connected upstairs in the bedroom).

proposal.png

Will this work or is it going to cause further issues? e.g. Issues with CCTV bouncing from 1 mesh to the other

I replied to your other thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/8-months-on-problem-back-again/m-p/4595828#M261006 

That setup should work fine.

I believe the 'nodes' connect to either the node with the best signal or the one with the internet connection!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't rely on the mesh, especially as you already have the cabling in place, for the connection up into the loft.. buy a cheap switch to sit alongside the hub and deco.. plug the second deco link into the switch, and then go up to the loft and over to your PC from the new switch..

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@tehwolf wrote:

I wouldn't rely on the mesh, especially as you already have the cabling in place, for the connection up into the loft.. buy a cheap switch to sit alongside the hub and deco.. plug the second deco link into the switch, and then go up to the loft and over to your PC from the new switch..

The OP has a few options under their belt it would appear, so they can give them a try for the best approach!

Duffster27
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gents,

Just so you can see the diagrams

Today: https://imgur.com/a/7cIUXgB

I think this would work? https://imgur.com/a/CN97i39

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

yes, it will work. it will be fine. but you will be limiting the speed to the NAS to whatever the mesh negotiates.. 

i use wireless for phones, sofa surfing, smart tv's etc.. stuff i don't really care about.. everything else is wired. 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Duffster27 wrote:

Hi Gents,

Just so you can see the diagrams

Today: https://imgur.com/a/7cIUXgB

I think this would work? https://imgur.com/a/CN97i39

Yes, however as @tehwolf mentioned you are relying on the wireless 'backhaul' (The wireless connection between each node) to cope with the CCTV and NAS traffic.

If anything you should use a switch where the HUB and one node will be, so the routing is all wired (As you have now). Just three power supplies required instead of one!

(Sorry for ruining your image with MS Paint!)

Duffster27
Tuning in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hey Carl

I dont think that would be too possible. I briefly mentioned in PM to @Tehwolf that I have ethernet from HUB to switch in the loft and connect 5 ethernet cables for the CCTV here (4 cams and 1 NAS).

Would adding another switch work better? Like this? https://imgur.com/a/p0siLzD

Sorry for all the questions!

I dont want to make the network too complex but feel like it will be with the mesh anyways lol
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Duffster27 wrote:
Hey Carl

I dont think that would be too possible. I briefly mentioned in PM to @Tehwolf that I have ethernet from HUB to switch in the loft and connect 5 ethernet cables for the CCTV here (4 cams and 1 NAS).

Would adding another switch work better? Like this? https://imgur.com/a/p0siLzD

Sorry for all the questions!

I dont want to make the network too complex but feel like it will be with the mesh anyways lol

You fixed your image better than I did!

Certainly thinking the same end result though.

0 Kudos
Duffster27
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I think by adding another switch, I can even get away with only 2 M4s as wouldnt need 1 in the loft next to the current switch.

2 M4s are £90 at Argos

I've just bought 3 M4s at PC World for £130, may be able to save £40 and get another switch - bargain!

So, just to confirm (sorry it's late), we think my revised diagram (and your MS Paint one!) would be the best route?

0 Kudos