cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master of avoidance

Cbank18
Joining in

I have tried and tried and tried, but I get nowhere so this is my last resort before cancelling direct debit and no doubt hurting myself by damaging my credit score.

my virgin broadband is terrible, I can barely connect more than one device to my internet at a time without it becoming unusable. We are constantly using our mobile data as we cannot even browse the internet on our phones if day Netflix is on or there is more than one phone browsing the internet at one time. The signal is my home is great, full signal is every room of the house without the need of any boosters, we have tried some troubleshooting method such as using eithernet any devices we can which didn’t help, tv would buffer if we are on phone etc. this has happened since we got the internet and within the first few days I contacted virgin, they advised it’s a settling in thing if it persists within 10 days recontact, I did, they apparently changed something remotely to help and try for 10 days, again no change, I contacted again… again they changed something in the router, and again another few days to see. Nothing changes at all, I’ve tried removing all devices on router and literally just have tvs and a laptop, not all on at the same time and still same issue.

I try now calling as now the live chat which I was previously communicating through doesn’t ever have agents available? I call and all they do is try and upsell me into Volt for more money and re contract to get these boosters which I don’t need as I have no signal issues. I get passed from tech to sales and every agent is only there to sell not to help, then when they realise they are not getting a sale it’s a “one second sir and I will check” and suddenly the line disconnects… no one tries to call back so then I call and start the whole circle again to only get the same result!

This is a joke, the reason I contacted so early was to utilise my cooling off period but they always tactically trap you.

I’m not the most technical person but if I was to guess it’s a bandwidth issue? But I have “tech” people in the phone saying my speeds are fine, I never once complained about the speed, only the fact I cannot use multiple devices doing low load tasks without its crumbling.

sorry about the long long paragraphs but as many of you have most likely experienced similar service I think you may understand where the anger is coming from.

thank you, any help is much much appriciated

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

1) Do not under any circumstances cancel the direct debit, I could spend half an hour telling you how much inconvenience that would cause you for years to come in ways you probably haven't thought it might whack you, but cancelling your DD will cause VM precisely no inconvenience at all.

2) This is not a bandwidth problem (a very rare problem that would be solved by buying a faster connection), it's a crap customer service + shonky cable connection.  Wait and see what the forum staff can advise, chances are they can sort it out.

3) If they can't or won't help I'll explain the slow but effective process by which you put the company through the Ombudsman's meat grinder.  

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Cbank18 wrote:

I have tried and tried and tried, but I get nowhere so this is my last resort before cancelling direct debit and no doubt hurting myself by damaging my credit score.

<snip>

As you have, I think, already realised the 'settling in period' and 'wait another 10 days' was all nonsense and designed to stop you invoking your cooling off rights.

As you have also realised, a bit of VM's systems that does work well is debt recovery so cancelling your direct debit will only harm yourself/credit score.

Your issues sound like a connection problem to your home.

Have you set up a BQM to monitor your connection for any dropouts?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

If you post your downstream, upstream and network log info on here from the VM hub (copy and paste text rather than images) there are members on the forum who can look at those and see if the signal levels are likely to be the problem.

Those would be a starting point.