cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual 5Ghz channel selection keeps defaulting to 20/40/80 channel 44

bonefff
Joining in

Hi

Hub 3 keeps resetting 5Ghz channel width to 20/40/80Mhz and channel 44. 

Channel optimisation is disabled and no mater what I set it as after few min will default back to the above. 
I get too much interference on this setting rendering the hub useless. 

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Things like this are regularly reported and often due to faulty firmware on the hub.  There's no prospect of any imminent fix, especially because the majority of customers don't change wifi settings from the default, so VM don't really worry too much about those who do.

I can offer a guaranteed fix, although you may not like it, of buying your own mesh or router, and running the hub in modem mode.  That puts all wifi settings under your control, stops any meddling by VM in the setup, and will normally provide better wifi coverage.  If you want to do this, then allow £60 for a basic but competent router, or £100 for a basic but competent mesh.  If it's a smaller property or an easy wifi environment then a two pack mesh for seventy quid would be a solid choice.  I'm using a TP-Link Deco M4, and that's worked a treat.  If you go down this route I've found it best to leave the mesh to its own devices in terms of channel and frequency choices - if you are intent on dabbling in the channels and detailed setup, then an Asus router may be the way to go.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey bonefff,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection at the moment, how has your connection been running since you last posted? I can see that a technician appointment was cancelled at your request, are you still having the same issues?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

No longer facing the same issues after changing the hub 3 to modem mode and using my own router.

Night and day difference. 

Thank you for all the replies. 

Thanks for letting us know @bonefff, glad to see this issue has now been resolved.

Please let us know if you need any further help, we will be happy to assist.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules