Menu
Alphabeat2003
Just browsing
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

MacBook Air not connecting to Hub 3

Please help. I’m a university student. Don’t have high level of tech knowledge and have tried the solutions posted in other forums. 

new router is a 3HUB and has connected to my iPhone and housemates other PCs but will not connect to my MacbookAir from 2016 at all. Have tried changing the IP address and adding two DNS where there were none. 

Quite stressed as Virtual University starts in the morning and the VM phone line isn’t open until the morning. Please help 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: MacBook Air not connecting to Hub 3

I type this on my 2015 Air. Its connecting just fine to my wifi - but I have my own router and the Hub is in modem mode.

So does the Air connect fine on wifi in other places? Then does the Air "see" your SSID (Network name) in its list of available networks? If so, what "error" messages are you seeing when it triess to connect?

often these are related to DNS. What DNS do you have in the Air's Network Setting ? These are mine...
-------------------------------

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 20.26.25.pngScreenshot 2021-01-31 at 20.25.59.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alphabeat2003
Just browsing
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi jbrennand

Thanks for your response 

at the moment I have nothing on my DNS page should I add what you have in both columns? 

thank you again. I am so confused 

0 Kudos
Alphabeat2003
Just browsing
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Air has never had connection issues before. And it does see and connect to the WiFi but when searching on browsers says no Internet and DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Try it and see - if it doesn't work try another number too like 10.0.1.20

EDIT: Actually this may not be right but try it.  Someone else who knows more about DNS should pick this up and suggest a setting.  If not after trying post up the issue again - in a new thread with a title like "what should my DNS be" - that will attract their attention 🙂

but before doing that go back and edit your message to remove the ipv4 address - you should never post it - I will alert the mods to do it - but you might be quicker

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alphabeat2003
Just browsing
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

okay I have tried adding this but still not luck. Very worried as my course starts tmro. Thank you I did not know have edited my response accordingly 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

see my edit above too

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Alphabeat2003
Just browsing
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I’ll do that right away thank you so much

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Alphabeat2003 wrote:

Hi jbrennand

Thanks for your response 

at the moment I have nothing on my DNS page should I add what you have in both columns? 

thank you again. I am so confused 

if you have nothing on your dns page at the moment, that'll explain why nothing is working 😛

set them to googles - 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 or cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

This wont help at this late hour but you can always connect your Air to the Hub by a long run of Cat5e ethernet cable - long runs are cheap (£5-£10) and you can just trail it over carpet etc temporarily whilst you are online and when finished put it in a cupboard until next time. To do that you will need a USB3-RJ45 ethernet adapter - these are £5-10 on eBay

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos