Menu
Joanna_VMC
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MAC filtering changes itself from specific times to all times

I have a HUB 3 and set MAC filtering times to limit the access of my son's electronics to the hub to "reasonable" (in my opinion) times.  We regularly find that it has changed itself to block access for those addresses at ALL times.   I've not done anything in between, it just seems to change by itself.

It is very annoying and I get accused of more meddling.

Does anyone else have this problem?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: MAC filtering changes itself from specific times to all times

The hub is buggy and VM are not doing anything about it so your best option is to use modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joanna_VMC,

I am sorry to hear you've been having issues getting the MAC settings to work. Did you follow the guide available through our help section? MAC Filtering

Have you had a look at our Connect App? As you've got a Hub 3 it will allow you to pause the internet connection for individual devices. Connect App Features

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Tom_S wrote:

Have you had a look at our Connect App? As you've got a Hub 3 it will allow you to pause the internet connection for individual devices. Connect App Features

Out of interest Tom, what stops a savvy teenager getting the Connect App for themselves and simply turning their device back on ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi jbrennand,

That depends on what level of knowledge you mean by 'savvy'. What is to stop a tech savvy teenager from either understanding they just need to reset the hub to wipe the settings? Or that unless the login details have been changed, to get the details to login to the admin settings of the hub and change the MAC filters?

To be able to access the broadband section of the connect app you need to sign in using the account details from your Virgin Media fibre account.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Tom_S wrote:

Hi jbrennand,  That depends on what level of knowledge you mean by 'savvy'. What is to stop a tech savvy teenager from either understanding they just need to reset the hub to wipe the settings? Or that unless the login details have been changed, to get the details to login to the admin settings of the hub and change the MAC filters?

To be able to access the broadband section of the connect app you need to sign in using the account details from your Virgin Media fibre account.

Thanks Tom.  A tech savvy parent would take a photo of the passwords sticker on their brand new Hub (and/or Router) on his fingerprint activated iPhone, then peel it off and burn it along with the card and all paperwork in the packaging, before changing them. Smiley Happy

I guess the account password details information should be enough to keep them out as long as the tech savvy parent doesnt use a known or guessable password and reveal that to any "sympathetic" family member.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Never, never underestimate savvy teenagers.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

a clever teenager would get access to the hub and change all the passwords (out of spite of course), and the super glue the reset button so it can't be factory restored.
0 Kudos
Joanna_VMC
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And that clever teenager's parent would then adopt the nuclear solution (see below).

I see that the tech solutions are escalating.  You are so locked into your tech world that you forget I have obvious physical solutions available to a controlling mother - simply remove the equipment that is being used - this is the nuclear solution.  I have plenty of hiding places for a PS4 (including the bin if necessary) and removing phone of even cancelling the phone contract and is quite effective as well (or reducing data to a minimum).

As the saying goes, "He who pays the piper, calls the tune".

I recognise now that I am doing well to get the blocking to work at all on the router and just have to manage that after a random reset it implements all time blocks.  It helps to understand that doing an on/off of the router switches block on permanently.  Now I've explained that, the abuse is reduced!

Also, obviously I have changed the password from the one on the bottom and were there to be a reset that would be immediately obvious and would throw everyone off.

No need for further suggestions, thank you.

0 Kudos