Menu
SportyMilo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

M600 & Mesh System

Hi Guys,

Virgin's Ultimate Oomph package is being installed on Monday and I understand I'll be getting the Hub 4. The plan at the moment is to put this into modem mode and connect it to my Deco M5 Set up (3 of them). Will the M5's be adequate or do I need to upgrade the mesh system?

Also if I put the Hub into modem mode, can I still connect devices by ethernet cables direct to the hub?

cheers,

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: M600 & Mesh System

M5 will be fine in my view.  Because they're not a tri-band system the throughput will drop off a bit when connected to the non-primary nodes, but you'd still be seeing excellent speeds.  If that's a problem you need to investigate tri-band mesh systems, and maybe even Wifi 6 mesh.  But that's a three hundred quid or more cost, and in your shoes I'd stick with the M5. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sophist
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@SportyMilo wrote:

Hi Guys,

Virgin's Ultimate Oomph package is being installed on Monday and I understand I'll be getting the Hub 4. The plan at the moment is to put this into modem mode and connect it to my Deco M5 Set up (3 of them). Will the M5's be adequate or do I need to upgrade the mesh system?

Also if I put the Hub into modem mode, can I still connect devices by ethernet cables direct to the hub?

cheers,

depends what you consider to be adequate. i wouldn't expect to get 600mb everywhere, but you should still get the same reliable wifi that you do today 🙂

and no, with the hub in modem mode, you can only connect the deco to it.. everything else will have to be connected to the deco - you may want to consider buying a cheap 1gb non-managed switch if you need more ethernet ports.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You may get a hub 3, however you won't get anywhere near 600 unless you spend a small fortune on a really good mesh system

SportyMilo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @tehwolf

I currently have a TP Link 1008D 8 Port switch connected to my current now tv hub. Moving forward I guess I connect the Deco M5 to the Hub 3 or 4 and then the switch direct to the other port on the Deco so that I can use the wired connections where possible?

I bought the TP Link 3 years ago and maybe I should now look at a 16 port!

thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@SportyMilo wrote:

Moving forward I guess I connect the Deco M5 to the Hub 3 or 4 and then the switch direct to the other port on the Deco so that I can use the wired connections where possible?

exactly that.

hub--->deco--->switch-->everything else

0 Kudos