Menu
Nairda
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

M500 Fibre Broadband slows down after 13:00

I've been monitoring my M500 Fibre Broadband for a few days using nperf Speedtest, and notice that after 13:00 the speed starts to drop from 522 Mb/s to as low as 10 Mb/s. Uploads remains constant. The connection to the Hub 3.0 is wired, and the Hub is in Modem Mode, the stats from the Hub are attached below. Note: The Hub was rebooted before the stats were taken just to be sure that there was not a problem with Hub 3.0.

nperf speedtestnperf speedtest

Cable Modem StatusCable Modem StatusDownstream bonded channelsDownstream bonded channelsDownstream bonded channelsDownstream bonded channelsUpstream bonded channelsUpstream bonded channelsGeneral ConfigurationGeneral ConfigurationScreenshot 2021-06-25 at 20.29.28.png

0 Kudos
foccer
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 Fibre Broadband slows down after 13:00

I am on M200 cable broadband and have been getting very similar issues. I havent done the volume of test you have but normally all is OK but just lately seems a lot slower of an evening when just "browsing" rather than trying to work.

Last night I checked it and we were getting 5-8Mbps on cabled and WiFi devices

9am this morning, 200Mbps

This evening 2-8Mbps again

I think Virgin may have an issue rather than our hubs!!!!!!

If it makes a difference, I am in the RH11 area.

0 Kudos
Nairda
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Latest update. Same problem today. Just after 13:00 BST the service degrades.

nperf speedtestnperf speedtest

0 Kudos
Nairda
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi foccer,

Are you still having the same problem? I'm in SW16 and same problem today as it's been for the past few weeks.

Streaming content from Disney+ is a nightmare. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Nairda wrote:

Have you checked first for “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

And, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Nairda
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. I have checked the "Check Service" as well as the "Service Status number" and there are no issues reported. I checked twice between 13:00 and 21:00 today. The connection is Wired and the Hub 3 is in Modem Mode, therefore the light in front of hub is magenta. As you can see in the attached picture the download speed from midnight is at 500+ Mb/s and start to degrade after 13:00. This has been the same for the past few weeks. hence the reason I'm capturing an hourly speed stat. 

Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 00.13.54.png

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As you are in modem mode - what router and wireless equipment are you using ?

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Nairda
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm using Netgear Orbi RBR50. I have created a “Broadband Quality Monitor” with thinkbroadband.com. I'm not sure it's working correctly I need to review my firewall settings to allow ICMP pings.

“Broadband Quality Monitor”“Broadband Quality Monitor”

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep - most likely the Orbi router is set to not to respond to ICMP pings.

It's also possible that the i.p.address in the BQM settings is incorrect - check it's right

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos