Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

M350 not as fast as it was

Hi all, I have had the M350 service for over a year now and it been really good most of the time, achieving speeds of around 380. However I checked the speed today using a wired Cat 6 connection and its delivering around 200. 

Why do I have this reduced speed off a fibre connection, there seems to be some throttling going on here. If Virgin just cant provide the M350 connection to me anymore then thy shouldn't charge me for it.

Do I have to call the Virgin help desk to go through all the frustrating basic tests?

Network.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: M350 not as fast as it was

VM do not throttle connections. More people are at home so speeds will be less then normal. The service speeds are contended. you do not get a dedicated 350mbps to yourself

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Jacob977 wrote:

If Virgin just cant provide the M350 connection to me anymore then thy shouldn't charge me for it.

Do I have to call the Virgin help desk to go through all the frustrating basic tests?

Network.JPG

They provide you with “up-to” speeds. 

And yes you can call or ask for assistance here. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Significant slowdown due to contention at 9am on a Saturday morning is not likely.

What device did you test that on and was it using the Ookla app or web browser? (app is better)
It's worth getting a few measurements throughout the day to see how your speeds change.
(3am, 6am, 9am, 12noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, 12midnight)

It's worth posting your modem stats to let the forum check if anything is awry. Copy and paste.
Also set up a Thinkbroadband Quality Monitor that will assist with diagnostics.

p.s. Your last post included your public IP address, be careful not to include any information like that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The local area bandwidth is shared amongst many houses so you are given a minimum speed and a upto speed. You don't get your own dedicated connection. The minimum is normally 50 percent of your upto speed. So 190mbps is acceptable for your connection.

If you need at least 380 then you need a 1 gig connection to guarantee that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI Jacob977, thanks for contacting us and we are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the speed, can you confirm if this is still the case? Can you do a broadband quality monitor here: Chris 

0 Kudos