cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low upload speed

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

I've recently upgraded to the M200 package, and got the Superhub 3 just over a month ago. All working well for the first few weeks, had an area outage last month but apart from that pretty good. Download speed usually 219 and Upload 20mbps.

However since yesterday I've done tests using different websites the upload speed has dropped to 2-3mpbs and barely gets over 5. Download is still the same though, and I've done router reboots too. Same result. I've also tested with another machine and still the same low upload speed. On my phone and iPad via Wi-fi it barely gets over 1mpbs and that's sitting in front of my router.

I spoke to a VM tech yesterday and they suspected one of the wi-fi devices connected (2 smartphones 2 iPads) could be uploading something large and taking up bandwidth, but we switched off wi-fi for all those and just did my PC via ethernet. No improvement.

There's also a Wi-fi extender adaptor that runs from the hub, which goes into the detached garage at the back of my garden, but I cant imagine its this causing low upload as nothing's connected to it when I'm testing in the house.

I do video calling stuff for my work so the upload speed is the one I am keeping an eye on. I can just about get by with 3-4mpbs but it makes my video a bit laggy for a few seconds. 

Is it VM's issue or is this something I can fix? I think I've tried each possible troubleshooting scenario.

67 REPLIES 67

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

Still network issues in the area apparently. Done 3 test and really poor upload speed, average 3mbps on PC with ethernet, on wifi 1mbps on Smartphone.

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

Hi danouk when did you start experiencing the low upload speed? Mine started falling over the weekend, only noticed it when my video got a bit laggy on Saturday. And what area do you live in? I am in West London and there seems to be a network issue (apparently, anyway).

Sounds eerily familiar....

I'm in West London also and issues occurred since the weekend (noticed since the TV dropout). Status report on postcode showing no issues, but when the tests run states there is an issue in the area (don't know why this isn't mentioned initially then?)

I checked today and the Upload speed was back to normal (about 3pm) so thought it was sorted, but I have the same problem now and same speeds (2-4mb upload) at router level speed check.

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

Hmm that's so weird! I did the same, did the status report on the postcode thing, it said no broadband issues but still said when I tested my kit there was a network issue in the area.

I didn't notice upload speed going back to normal around 3pm though I did a video call around 6pm and it was alright, still under 5mbps upload but got through it. Had one moment of laggyness. 

I wonder if they know about the fault and is anyone actually fixing it. VM keep telling me to check the status thing and even told me to call a number to tell me exactly the same thing! If someone is looking at it I want to know how long it'll take.

Well I've been lazy and Googling rather than reporting it as I kept thinking it was just a temporary measure but you're right, we should make sure it's properly followed up. Will do this tommorrow.

I'm in South London and I am experiencing the same issues, started over the weekend as well

Managed to get someone on the chat thing and they're detected an SNR (signal to noise ratio) outage in the area.

This is what they've said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment based on the checks on the account I was able to see that

An SNR outage has been detected on Outage Communicator that is affecting this customer.

You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are w

Status: We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way

Date Open: 05 DEC 2021 15:46
Estimated end date: 08 DEC 2021 09:00

------------------------------------------------------------

So they're hoping by tomorrow morning it'll be back to normal......well I won't hold my breath haha.

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

Surprise surprise I'm still getting crap upload speeds. Had to speak to another technician who said the issue will be resolved on 10th! Apparently its not my hub that's the problem as its still getting good download speed.

Anyone else got any progress (or no progress) to report?

Upload speed has gone from 20mb sometimes to 0.6mb more often throughout the last few days.

I had the same area message you mentioned below about intermittent outages and connection was lost about 5 times today.

Upload speed still horrific and no change. I will call them first thing.

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

Oh ok. Well mine hasn't dropped below 4mbps, once it was 2 but usually comes back up but nowhere near the 20 I am paying for!

Survived some video calls yesterday and due to do another one in about 20 minutes. As we don't use HD video I think its helping not needing to pull so much bandwidth.

Did a speed test just now and it was 4mpbs upload. Still not good but enough to get by for now.

Let me know what they say when you get through to speak to someone!