cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speed output of Hub 3

fredsays
Tuning in

Sam Knows shows download on my Hub 3 as recently upgraded 137mbps but output through LAN cable shows on my laptop 60 - 80 mbps and similar for anything connected to splitter.  No other working device except WiFi booster connected.  Is this a Hub defect or Hub settings.  Laptop uses a LAN adaptor and that and splitter may not be of the fastest standard. Appreciate advice.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

The speed to the laptop sounds like it is being limited by a 100Mb/s network cabled connection.

If you look at the connection speed in the Hub and for the laptop's network connector you should see this.

The problem is usually caused by a loose or faulty cable - or an old cable that is not rated for a 1Gb/s connection,
but in this case it could be a USB to ethernet connector with a 10/100 speed.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Client62
Legend

The speed to the laptop sounds like it is being limited by a 100Mb/s network cabled connection.

If you look at the connection speed in the Hub and for the laptop's network connector you should see this.

The problem is usually caused by a loose or faulty cable - or an old cable that is not rated for a 1Gb/s connection,
but in this case it could be a USB to ethernet connector with a 10/100 speed.

Thanks will be looking at that.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fredsays

Welcome to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear of your wired speed concerns. Please let us know if you have any further issues at all once you have checked your equipment to ensure it is compatible for a 1Gbps connection. We'll be here to support further if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks.  Checking up.

You're welcome. We will wait to hear from you. 

^Martin

Have checked the cables and connection which remain unchanged and undisturbed for years. Either gigabyte or Cat 5 and very short.

Not able to get settings etc from the Hub as the access 192.168.0.1 does not work - some months ago I switched off the Hub WiFi and and use the Deco booster.  I believe that changes the access which no. I don't have.   

Problem seems to have started with upgrade from 75/100? to 125Mpps some weeks ago.

SamKnows shows 137Mbps consistently but Device can be 70 and tonight as low as 35.  I have also lost sound on streaming or it is broken up.  

The online Virgin test shows peculiar results - sometime saying there is a local area problem and sometimes reset the Hub.  Support on line said any local problem was to be attended to by 9am 30 Jan. Actually worse since then. 

Have suspicions Hub 3 defective.  But I am not detective!

Further advice requested

Hi fredsays,

Thank you for reaching back out to us and for your post, sorry to see you are facing Low speed output of Hub 3, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we ahve for you and can see there is currently an SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) fault in your area, You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

This was raised Yesterday 02/02/23 although may have been present earlier, the estimated fix time is 09/02/23 @ 14:15, apologies again for any inconvenience caused.

You can keep an eye on our Service Status for updates or you can also register for these Via Text or Email Via your Online Account.

Regards

Paul. 

Thanks

Got an SMS yesterday that network issue fixed and to restart, wait 30mins, however problem remains same and speedtest checker confirms there is a problem so am assuming your advice that problem will take until 9 Feb stands.

Morning fredsays

Thanks for coming back to us. Sorry for the confusion over the SMS, it appears both tickets were not linked. I've checked the ticket number my colleague advised about above and it's still the estimated fix date of the 9th. 

best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill