Menu
Lee1ngham
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Low Wifi on iPhone

I recently had Virgin installed in our front bedroom (street facing) and cabled it to the back bedroom directly behind via a cable the virgin man left me so I can work from home and hard wire my PS5.

Ever since doing so I’m barely getting above 20mb WiFi on my iPhone via the speed test app. My wife however gets like 200+ sat next to me on her Samsung. Like earlier in the bedroom. I got 18 and she got 240…. (Please don’t give me the iOS vs Android debate. I can’t be doing with that 😂)

It’s the same in the front room as well (directly below bedroom) and I’m left with using my o2 4G as it’s stronger.

In the rear bedroom is fine and dandy…

Anyone got any thoughts?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low Wifi on iPhone

What frequency is the phone connecting on? What phone is it and what Hub model do you have?

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network  (my two SSID's are separated). Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

If its a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting your own better wireless kit 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I agree with John about splitting the two bands.

My iPhone 8 Plus gets around 250Mb/s on channel 36 (5GHz band) but only 20Mb/s on channel 6 (2.4GHz band).

I also get the impression that the iPhones tend to use signal strength are rather than data rate in determining what SSID to connect to.

If you have a lot of devices already connected and don't want the faf of setting them all up again, try just changing the name of the 5GHz band.
(This has the added benefit that your Mrs phone will then connect to the 2.4GHz band and she'll be the one with s**t speeds 😂)

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Lee1ngham,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you having some WiFi issues on your iPhone. 

Have you tried what has been suggested on this thread? Let us know if there's been any improvements. 

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I find being able to change the power of the radios on my Access Points very beneficial. Enables me to get a good signal on the 5Ghz band at the end of the garden where my Apple devices would have selected the 2.4 GHz band if I hadn’t got it set to low power. Of course high power does have, in some instances, a problem where the AP transmits a high signal that the end device can receive, but the end devices radio is not as powerful, so the signal fails on the return path. Unfortunately VM hubs do not have this facility.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos