Menu
Arsenalbirder
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Lost 5g

We lost WiFi on the skybox, my wife's phone and her tablet plus the "Alexa turn the plug on gadget". It remained however on my Samsung phone and tablet. We rebooted the hub (3) using the button on the back. Everything now works but 5g has disappeared.  Any help gratefully received. I am a luddite with tech so please keep it simple!

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Lost 5g

Has the SSID (network name) changed - possibly to 1 ?

otherwise factory reset the hub - press the pinhole button for a minute and let it boot up for ten mins 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Arsenalbirder
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Thanks for replying. Don't really understand the first bit though. It has the same long digit number but the 5g at the end has disappeared.  I will try the second piece advice again though. Hopefully this time when it reboots it will pick up the 5g .

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Arsenalbirder wrote:

Hi. Thanks for replying. Don't really understand the first bit though. It has the same long digit number but the 5g at the end has disappeared.  I will try the second piece advice again though. Hopefully this time when it reboots it will pick up the 5g .

have you recently done a factory reset on the hub? it sounds like your 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks have merged, which is the default state.. if you want to revert it so that you have the 2.4 and 5ghz networks on different SSIDs you can do the following; 

log into the  hub at http://192.168.0.1 browse to advanced -> wireless give the two networks different names (add _2g / _5g or whatever it was previously) and save/reboot. 

edit; whilst you're messing with the hub settings, you probably want to browse to advanced -> wireless -> smart wifi and disable channel optimisation at the same time.. 

0 Kudos
Arsenalbirder
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Excellent. All sorted. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply.
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good

For future reference, as tehwolf says, the default SSID on the hub 3 etc. is to have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi band the same - but often someone, probably a Virgin installation technician will have changed them to 'split' or 'separate' the bands with a 2g or 5g on the end (not to be confused with 5G mobiles).

This configuration is usually changed by a factory reset (pinhole on back) or sometimes, it seems, by a firmware update.  Others have reported it changing to just '1' being shown.  It appears yours had reverted to the default as mentioned.

The devices that were still able to connect were probably remembering the default value as well as what you had been using - many devices will remember the settings for various Wi-Fi locations that you've used.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos