Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Lossing internet connecting everynight

Hi

For the past week my internet connection has been dropping out from around 11pm, and when I look at my router I see a flashing green light.

about a month ago i  have place my Router into modem mode as I have installed a personal firewall behind virgins router as I wanted better control over my network security and also I wanted to learn more about firewalls '  As I am a IT Engineer '

All was well until the 22th November when my firewall started to report that the modem had loss connected with Virgin,

After a lot of searching I have found a working solution which works about 80% and allows me to reconnect my system back to virgin, but then some point that night it loss's the connection and I have to repeat the whole progress again when I get home.

When I look at my log files in the firewall it looks like virgin is no authenticating and authorizing my external IP Address

When I check the virgin services checker it informs me that there is a known issue and that someone is working on it but this has been happening for the past week.

So can someone please inform me / help me as I am getting tired of fixing my system every night.  My area code is ( 20 )

I look forward to your reply

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lossing internet connecting everynight

Does your firewall device have any routing functionality to it? DHCP. NAT, routing, DNS etc?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes the firewall does have them options build in. But the only rule that i have set up is for plex on port 32400.  And this will be the only port forward i will have.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I did some googling and found this posting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/eenez8/virgin_router_in_modem_mode_dhcp_not_working/

this might be my issue
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi chrischambers,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the internet issue you're having. 

Were you able to get this resolved with the link you found?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

good afternoon

this was not the course of the issue but the repeaty - outage of Virgin.  once virgin become stable I have no further issues with my PFSense, and as apart of my testing I have removed the external NIC, and the system is still working.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. 

I'm glad to hear this is all now working for you. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How did you access those logs in the router menu?

I’m having similar issues. I’d like to check mine.
0 Kudos