cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of internet to Smart TV

jenfamily1
Dialled in

Hi everyone,

Before I try to answer my own question can I please explain that on previous posts you've always been helpful in explaining why in my son's room upstairs at the back of the house was a 'hot spot' due to the hub /router being further away at the foot of the stairwell.

Since a new hub was delivered I haven't noticed so much of a problem connecting with the other V6 boxes in the house, however I still suspect that when Virgin's broadband use / capacity is at 'breaking point' often a message appears 'Network too slow' My problem now is that the other son has an 'all singing all dancing' Google TV ( as big as a cinema screen ) in a wooden outbuilding ( 'man cave' it is about 20 yards ( using the length of an ethernet cable ) from where the hub is situated .He's had the TV since it was new linked to the hub for about a year with very little problem BUT he and I found within the last two weeks the TV wouldn't connect to the hub between the hours of 6pm - 10pm on three occasions!  Now this could be coincidence of course but could it be due to many school children during half term gaming elsewhere on Virgin and reducing our signal to his TV. We had rebooted the whole system even though our phone, three V6 boxes remained connected. I did in desperation run a long ethernet cable the other evening which got him out of trouble BUT wondered as our electrical ring main circuit in the house probably doesn't run in tandem with the circuit the 'spark' ran when electrifying his 'man cave' so I doubt those 'booster plug thingeys' will work. Is there / or can Virgin supply ( at a cost ) another remote way of boosting the signal when this happens? Someone once told me on here that there are two frequencies which the hub automatically switches between.Could it be it is switching to a lower range during these times? Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

This reads line there is an intermittent fault on route using the cable from the house to the man cave.

I say route, as we don't have details of any network switches / routers / Wi-Fi access points etc etc that may exist and be involved in the connection to the Smart TV.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The Ethernet cable solved the problem, so the best solution is to dig a trench to a depth of 18 inches or more and directly bury external-rated Ethernet cable. If one day you might want a mini box in the man cave lay a conduit in the trench with a pull rope for VM's cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi & thank you for your reply. I may have gone into too much detail & confused the issue with my post.

Basically the majority of the time , my son's smart TV works fine from the hub signal even though it's about 15 / 20 yards from the router. On three occasions for at least 4 hours it lost connectivity. It may be coincidence but twice was when the school holidays were on. My guess was that when Virgin's network is heavily used can it reduce the strength of the signal from router to TV? The only cable to temporarily rectify the problem at the time was using the extra long Ethernet cable which isn't satisfactory as it means keeping open the back door!

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

So bite the bullet, get a hole drilled through the back wall for the cable to be in the trench. It's a lot of work but you only have to do it once.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As stated earlier, run 2 external grade Cat 6 ethernet cables out to the shed, for redundancy.  Plan a route from the Hub, to outside, to the shed.  The cable length can be up to 100 metres, so don't think it has to be in a straight line. Once the cables are in the shed use an unmanaged switch and one of these to get extra ethernet ports and wifi (if required)  TP-Link TL-WA1201 Access Point Dual Band AC1200, Supports Passive PoE, Supports Access Point, Range ...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jenfamily1 wrote:

Since a new hub was delivered I haven't noticed so much of a problem connecting with the other V6 boxes in the house, however I still suspect that when Virgin's broadband use / capacity is at 'breaking point' often a message appears 'Network too slow' My problem now is that the other son has an 'all singing all dancing' Google TV ( as big as a cinema screen ) in a wooden outbuilding ( 'man cave' it is about 20 yards ( using the length of an ethernet cable ) from where the hub is situated .

Someone once told me on here that there are two frequencies which the hub automatically switches between.Could it be it is switching to a lower range during these times? Many thanks

Most  modern TV's have support for both 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-fi 

VM's hubs have the two frequencies 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal (it travels further than 5GHz) but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.  You don't need the extra speed for TV/app reception just a strong signal.

Have you separated the two bands on your hub by giving them different names? (You can always change the names (SSID's) back to how you already have them if it causes any further issues))

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  at the bottom then  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 2 to the end of the 2.4GHz Channel name, then further down add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes. (You don't have to change both names, just changing one will do) and leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali