I did (finally) manage to talk to your technical department and managed to connect directly to the Hub with my laptop. Spurred on I started re-attaching other items, until such time as it failed again. I could have attached things one at a time but as I have switches with multiple connections in several parts of the house, this seemed like a very big job.
Reading the posts from others I am left with the suspicion that the Hub is very sensitive to device/port power fluctuations and that either too many or one less than perfect connection was to blame. I decided to switch the Hub to modem only mode and invest in a Netgear Nighthawk Router. So far (touch wood) this has been a more robust solution.