cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing connections multiple times daily

chuckstre
Tuning in

Hi. Several times a day we lose WiFi. It’s only for a few minutes at a time but it happens that often it’s really frustrating. I have tried suggestions that I have seen in threads on here, rebooting router, changing WiFi channels etc… but nothing helps. 
VM website rarely works as it should. Any moderators on here able to get me an engineer visit? 

11 REPLIES 11

HSW3K
Joining in

An engineer won't be able to help, unfortunately. The problem isn't with your hub, it's with the network. People all over the country are having the same problem with intermittent signal/cut-outs, and it's been happening for weeks. We don't know what's going on because Virgin won't admit that it's network-wide (they just tell people to reset their hub or check for local issues) but every time it happens I go to third party status checker sites and they show flare-ups of problems across the UK.

I read online that someone had the same issue, engineer came out and changed the router. Problems went away. 🤷‍♂️
it’s gotta be worth a try. 
The issue comes and goes, so when I do a service check it always says there isn’t an issue and it’s a nightmare trying to explain over the phone. I think getting an engineer out and explaining would be the way forward. 

Hi chuckstre,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear your WIFI is dropping multiple times on a daily basis and can last seconds to a few minutes, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you, I have carried full diagnostic checks and cannot find any issues although you do have potential WIFI issues, if the devices are losing the WIFI connection this will cause a drop, I can see you do already have or WIFI Max.

You are entitled to up to 3 pods, is the WIFI dropping everywhere at the same time or just areas not covered by the Pod you have?

Regards

Paul.

The WiFi is dropping on all devices at the same time regardless of location.

Thanks for coming back to us. If you have a smartphone, please download free of charge, the Connect App - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/connect-app - when installed, you'll be able to do a WiFi scan in the property. This will check and identify any coverage blackspot areas, optimise them where possible and if a Pod is needed, you'll be prompted to order one. 

Let us know how you get on.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Geodev
On our wavelength

I am having the same issue. Every single day. It's happening at least 3 times a day and every time it happens it's for a little bit longer than before. I have tried everything 

It happens when I am sat 2 feet away from the router. All devices go at the same time, regardless of location in the house. I already use the connect app. Black spots aren’t the issue. Can you send a new router to test. My guess is the router is old and coming to the end of its useful life. 

Hi Geodev, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with your connection. 

Taking a look at things this end, whilst there are no open area faults affecting you, the power levels on both your upstream and downstream channels are out. They are way to high on the upstream and too low on the downstream. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi chuckstre, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

Our checks on this end are showing that there is nothing wrong with the hub so we'd be unable to replace it. 

We can see that all your devices are connecting via WiFi. There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. It may even suggest needing a WiFi Pod. You can view more information on that here

Finally, you can view more about our new WiFi Max service here

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs