Menu
Spacebucks
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Losing 2.4g connection

I have an old superhub 2. I don’t really want a hub 3 due to lots of issues I’ve read about. However lately the 2.4g keeps dropping and I have to restart the router all the time. Do virgin supply an older hub if you request one? Any thoughts on the 2.4g keeping dropping? Thanks 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Losing 2.4g connection

Put the hub into modem mode and attach your own router or mesh system instead 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I stuck with the SH2 for Puma6 chipset issues but as gary says - I too have always been in modem mode with my own router/wireless kit. In theory - in modem mode the Hub3 should be better as it has 24 Down channels rather than 8 like the SH2.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Spacebucks
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I was thinking of getting my own router and using modem mode. Does this mean the superhub won’t cause connection issues if it normally drops connection everything now snd then whilst in modem mode? Sorry I’ve never used modem mode. Thanks 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Spacebucks wrote:

Thanks - I was thinking of getting my own router and using modem mode. Does this mean the superhub won’t cause connection issues if it normally drops connection everything now snd then whilst in modem mode? Sorry I’ve never used modem mode. Thanks 

In modem mode it just provides internet access to one device i.e. a third party router.

You connect the HUB to the router via one of the ethernet sockets which then takes over the other duties (Wireless & wired connections, allocating IP addresses to devices, firewall, etc.).

So if your HUB is ok at providing internet access, and it's just the wireless playing up, they you can buy your own router!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You need to prove that its not a connection issue. First way is to connect a computer/laptop directly into the SH2 by ethernet cable (just for a short test period) and see if that remains connected to the network when the the wifi ones drop out.

If that's all good - then your ethernet cable connected router shouldn't drop out either

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Spacebucks
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John - I think it should be ok as seems to be wifi that drops and not anything connected to Ethernet . Thanks 

0 Kudos
Spacebucks
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers!

0 Kudos