Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Looking to purchase non VM supplied Netgear Powerline WiFi 1000 - will it work with Super Hub 3.0?

Hello

The wifi coverage upstairs is quite shaky compared to downstairs where the Super Hub 3.0 is sitting, so I decided to look into WiFi extenders.

Unfortunately the Netgear Powerline WiFi 1000 does not appear to be in stock through VM, but it is if bought online from other suppliers. 

Has anyone found any problems doing this with the Super Hub 3.0? Are the extenders detected on the VM connect app? I am hoping these integrate just as well as the VM supplied version. They might just be badged VM for all I know, unless there are some customisation on them. 

I have a 200/20 Mb service and am hoping I will get the full speed through the mains wiring with excellent WiFi coverage upstairs. How have users found the performance with these devices? Is it variable a bit like BT phone lines, whereby noise and distance can affect the performance and quality of connection?

It was quite a few years ago since I last used power line adapters and I found them not to provide full speed, but perhaps technology has progressed now and things are a lot better than they were?

I would welcome your input!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Looking to purchase non VM supplied Netgear Powerline WiFi 1000 - will it work with Super Hub 3.0?

Powerlines are not the best solution.

A better solution would be your own router and/or a mesh system.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Looking to purchase non VM supplied Netgear Powerline WiFi 1000 - will it work with Super Hub 3.0?

Thanks Gary for your swift response!

I am open to trying different things, are there any tried and tested systems that people are very happy with that you might be able to recommend? 

Presumably these would plug into the Super Hub 3.0 whilst it is in modem mode. As I don't have any way of running ethernet cables without digging channels into walls and drilling holes, I would hope these things have a higher transmission power and better receivers so the signals can get further into upstairs if it was to be set up by the hub. That's why I initially looked at power lines as a solution. Sounds like they haven't progressed very much then!

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's many available.

Regards mesh systems, BT Whole Home and TP-Link "M" Series are well reviewed on here and externally.

Tenda Nova and Amazon Eero systems get positive feedback as well.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Gary, very helpful.

Looks like it's time to do some research into those. If I can find something that can cover the whole house better than the Super Hub 3.0, then I shall be very pleased! I don't live in a mansion or anything, but even moving to another room close by on the ground floor seems to slice the WiFi signal quite significantly!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just beware, i tested the Tenda system. It has to be set up via an App

as do most MESH systems, but it asks for some very strange permissions

for example - access to photos, contacts, messages etc.

I did not trust it

Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, 2 x Asus AX56 MESH
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Brava

Thanks for the heads up. I don't like giving permissions for things an app shouldn't ordinarily need either. Location data is a common one! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Here are some thoughts I have posted before...

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat.

Good options for Access points are Ubiquiti, (routers also) and from these companies for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems such as TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latley's like Google, BT, Amazon etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example, two of my friends who live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features you need. Plus, ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2, so you may need to add in an unmanaged GB switch (<£20) in there as well if you need more. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 3-pack of any Mesh system, and that doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am currently testing the TP-Link M6 and can say it's fast and stable so far.

The app does not request stupid permissions either

Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, 2 x Asus AX56 MESH
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Looking to purchase non VM supplied Netgear Powerline WiFi 1000 - will it work with Super Hub...

Hi Brava210, thanks for the message and we are happy to see that everything is running correctly. Please let us know if you need anything further ^Chris 

0 Kudos