cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longer Coaxial Cable

Talenemrys
Tuning in

Hi,

So I've recently moved into a new property, got sent the home install kit and got myself up and running - however my power socket is nowhere near the VM coaxial port on the external wall. Using the provided coaxial cable places my new super hub squarely against the radiator. Not ideal, since they get warm on their own.

So I contacted VM support via the whatsapp support, as I couldn't get through on the phone lines, eventually got through to someone who assured me "it's just that you need a longer coax cable to make it work in your end. I'd love to send you one if we only offered a longer coax cable but we only have the same length of what we initially sent with the kit."

So, I went to my favourite cable shop and picked up a brand new RG6 Cable, 3 meters, ample to get my router where I'd like to. And it doesn't work. Whatsapp support being as helpful as expected blamed the cable for being faulty. It's not - the router did provide flickers of connection before seeming to crash and restart itself, if the wire did not work, there would not be any connection. 

I have seen posts from a few years back saying that it's against terms of service to replace coax cable, a point I adressed with the agent I spoke to, and was assured "It is not against the terms of service if you need a longer cable since we only supply you the same size of coax cable." - So my query is how can I get it working?

I was getting RCS Partial Service; and No Ranging Response received errors whilst I had my longer cable plugged in. Currently running off the supplied one, but could really do with the cable being longer.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

Absolutely no question it is the cable you purchased, even if it is if the right spec and the connectors are properly fitted, there is a good chance that extending it has caused the power levels to drop below a reliable figure.

Regardless of what you were (wrongly) told, you can't just extend, or indeed shorten the cables without expecting some difficulty. What you need is to arrange an engineer visit for the princely sum of £25 to make up a cable of the right length and then measure and adjust the power levels if required.

Okay, I thought as much, voltage does indeed drop over lengths of cable, and I recall from the last time I had router issues, voltages can be quite sensitive. Figured I'd ask here, where there's more knowledgeable people available.
So how would I go about arranging an engineer visit if the support folk insist that it'll work regardless?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just call in and tell them you want a Tech visit to move the Hub to a different location

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Talenemrys

We can arrange your technician visit from our team.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R