Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Loads of UDP sockets & traffic

I am trying to figure out how to get the Hitron router to behave. I have a Business Broadband connection with 5 static IPs. 

In short, when I open a whole bunch of UDP sockets (several hundred per minute) and start sending and receiving messages, the Hitron becomes completely unresponsive and connectivity drops out within a couple of minutes. Everything on the LAN is fine. Kill all the sockets and the Hitron returns to the land of the living in a few minutes.

If I run this traffic over a VPN tunnel, it is all good. No worries whatsoever connectivity-wise.

However, the VPN uses openvpn, so it kills off any opportunity to SSH in to the originating machine from the WAN as the VPN provider pushes the route 0.0.0.0/1 to me.

From what I understand, VM took to providing static IPs through a GRE tunnel (whatever that is), but it seems it is trying to be a bit too clever and do some sort of processing of the packets. The router facing the Hitron is a USG 3P, which should be able to deal with the GRE tunnel and not fall over for a bit of traffic. 

Does anyone know how to sort out the Hitron or how to configure it and the USG 3P so the USG does the whole GRE tunnel thing instead? And if that would be a viable solution? If not, any ideas/suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loads of UDP sockets & traffic

As this board is for residential users not business users you are unlikely to get an answer very quickly or perhaps never. There are some users who have a business service as well and they may be able to help. You will not get any help from the VM users on the board because they only support residential users.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos