Menu
Jtaylor440
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Little to no signal on Hub 3

I have been with virgin a few months now and have had nothing but issues and I'm really starting to regret the switch. 

It initially start back in Jan/Feb when we switched they sent out an engineer as I kept complain that the signal and speed were just atrocious and the ethernet ports were not working. The engineer came round and stated we needed a new cable outside ran to the green box as it isn't performing 100%, great so a cable guy came and then they couldn't do the work as a civil engineer was required to pull some pebbles out of a manhole cover in order to get to the underground junction box to pull the cable through. 1 or 2 months later an engineer came and replaced the cable etc.... which was great we thought we would get decent signal again. Alas it is still absolutely shocking and seems to be getting worse.

In room A (where the router is) the signal is okay to great. As soon as you leave room A to go to B, C... etc... the signal is absolutely atrocious and we are talking a distance or 3/4 metres. The only way to actually get signal into the other 4/5 rooms is through a £10 repeater upstairs which in fact gives 100x better signal than the actual router itself. 

I really would love for this to finally get fixed or a replacement router (I asked for a replacement multiple times and I keep getting rejected) sent out or I will be forced to switch provider. I have been with virgin in multiple locations and never experienced such horrible conditions and customer support.

Please please fix this.

Josh

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Little to no signal on Hub 3

They won’t send our engineers for Wifi issues.

If you need better Wifi put the hub into modem mode and attach your own better router or mesh system 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Jtaylor440
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That isn't very helpful at all.

A. I am getting 20MB from a 100MB package and even lower in other rooms which is not acceptable. This is consistent no matter what time. I even only get 20MB from the extender upstairs. The only way to get 100MB is through ethernet and that isn't possible with every device. 

B. I have asked previously to check and replace my router which was accepted however, it still hasn't been changed.  

There must be a better solution than, its not our fault your equipment isn't working proper, you better buy your own router.... 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Jtaylor440 wrote:

That isn't very helpful at all.

A. I am getting 20MB from a 100MB package and even lower in other rooms which is not acceptable. This is consistent no matter what time. I even only get 20MB from the extender upstairs. The only way to get 100MB is through ethernet and that isn't possible with every device. 

B. I have asked previously to check and replace my router which was accepted however, it still hasn't been changed.  

There must be a better solution than, its not our fault your equipment isn't working proper, you better buy your own router.... 

If wired connections are working fine then you’re getting your full contractual speeds.

What optimisation have you done yourself for the Wifi?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Jtaylor440
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wow that is horrible service then.

I have done all the recommended optimisations that virgin suggests but still no luck.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Such as?

Can you share your settings here. 

0 Kudos
Jtaylor440
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Reboot multiple times to switch channel

Moved location of router

Cleared area to remove proximity interference 

Limited connected devices

Jtaylor440_0-1619882014748.png

Jtaylor440_1-1619882046817.pngJtaylor440_2-1619882058534.pngJtaylor440_3-1619882070429.pngJtaylor440_4-1619882081263.png

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You need to use a Wifi analyser and choose a fixed channel for each band.

Split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands by renaming them to something different.

Set the 2.4Ghz band to 20Mhz channel width and the 5Ghz band to 80Mhz channel width (or 20/40/80Mhz)  

Disable smart Wifi optimisation.

0 Kudos
Jtaylor440
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

After making the changing, it seems some devices are marginally better but the overall speed is consistently around 20-35MB. I guess I will have to do the last resort and get an additional router to get access to full speeds.

After doing research it seems like this is very much a common issue with VM's router having atrocious wifi signal, surely this would be a sign to improve it?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Jtaylor440 wrote:

After making the changing, it seems some devices are marginally better but the overall speed is consistently around 20-35MB. I guess I will have to do the last resort and get an additional router to get access to full speeds.

After doing research it seems like this is very much a common issue with VM's router having atrocious wifi signal, surely this would be a sign to improve it?

It depends what devices you’re using and Speedtesting with. 

0 Kudos