Menu
Thistle6
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Little or no wifi

Had Virgin broadband fitted just over a week ago (as sky was very slow) as the comparison to my existing network was that Virgin would be a minimum of 3 times faster. Installed on a Wednesday morning we connected some of our tv’s, alexia’s computer etc to it and all seemed good. On the weekend we tried to connect sonos, Xbox, cameras and Nest but Virgin would be extremely slow and disconnect. My son’s room furthest from router can’t even pick up the wifi (sky could) asked about booster none available until March! During the second week the amount of times a day the wifi was lost was increasing called out engineer he has to speak to the first engineer who fitted it, could be a wiring issue from the house to the main box and might need replacing. Called virgin as unhappy being left with little or no wifi the lady on the phone ran a number of test and changed my setting on the router. I only have a white light on the router and speeds of between 5-87mbps download and 20mbps upload, she is sending us a new box while waiting for the engineers report. Since she changed the settings we cannot connect to our sonos 5, sonos 1 and sonos beam. My daughters Alexa plays on my other daughters Alexa and one of the sonos 1 speakers. My son still has zero wifi. We have no wifi connection on the main tv downstairs and the additional box can’t connect either but all the TV’s upstairs are all connected to wifi.  The nest and camera can’t find wifi either.  What is happening?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Little or no wifi

Sounds like you need a mesh system as the wifi from the hub sn't meeting your demands

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The SH (super hub, and theres nothing super about it), has useless WIFI. We in here have been telling VM for years about them.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

its not been super for a long time. Its just the Hub now

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just an observation: If installed "just over a week ago", you've only got a few days left of your cooling off period that allows penalty free cancellation if you're less than impressed.  After that you're likely stuck with VM for 18 months. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Thistle6
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We have thought about cancelling but then we would be back to square one using sky’s slow wifi. 😔 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Thistle6 wrote:

We have thought about cancelling but then we would be back to square one using sky’s slow wifi. 😔 

all ISP routers are at teh "poor" end of the scale when it comes to providing a decent wifi signal.. they are built to a (low) budget - you'll find investing in your own wifi kit provides a much better service and should last a good few years

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When I got internet from VM (they was NTL then), they ONLY provided a modem, and you the customer provided the Router.

Since 2011 they came up with the SH, its ideal for very basic users. But to get the best out of it, turn it into a MODEM, and buy your own Router.

I have had the SH, beta tested the SH2 / SH2AC.

Then got the SH3, and now SH4, all of them the WIFI has been useless. But since 2011 i have had my own Router, both made by ASUS, and never had an issue with WIFI.

Go MODEM MODE, you can thank me later.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?