cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking heaters to a 2.4GHz band

caesarrye
Tuning in

I have a Hub 3 and these heaters need a 2.4 GHz band. (I have no idea what I'm talking about, this is what the heater handbook says).

The Hub appears to be 5GHz so I'm confused. And not relishing going round turning heaters on and up/down every 10 minutes.

Am I looking to set up a guest network? Can it be both 5GHz and 2.4GHz?

Grateful for anything  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VM hub broadcasts on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously and, by default, uses the same SSID wireless name for both bands. Some devices do not like this combined SSID method and do not easily connect.

To begin with, you could try temporarily turning off the 5GHz band on the hub (and allowing only the 2.4 GHz band to continue) then try making the heater connection. If the heaters connect, then try turning the 5 GHz back on again.

There are other things you can try but that might be the most simple to start with.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VM hub broadcasts on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously and, by default, uses the same SSID wireless name for both bands. Some devices do not like this combined SSID method and do not easily connect.

To begin with, you could try temporarily turning off the 5GHz band on the hub (and allowing only the 2.4 GHz band to continue) then try making the heater connection. If the heaters connect, then try turning the 5 GHz back on again.

There are other things you can try but that might be the most simple to start with.

Fantastic, gosglow. And thanks for the quick response.

I'm up for it. What do I do?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@caesarrye wrote:

Fantastic, gosglow. And thanks for the quick response.

I'm up for it. What do I do?

Log into the VM hub. On the LHS menu use Advanced settings>>Wireless>>Wireless signal

and you should see a page which looks like the 6th screen shot here

https://setuprouter.com/router/virgin-media/hub-3-0/screenshots.htm

(titled 'Wireless signal' in red)

You untick the radio button for 'Enable 5 GHz' and then click the 'Apply changes' button.

Give it a minute or two for that change to be applied. Once the hub has settled down again try and connect your heaters to the wi-fi.

If they connect, you would then reverse the process above to re-enable 5 GHz by ticking the radio button again and applying changes to turn 5 GHz back on again.

After that you'll need to see if the heaters hold the wireless connection reliably

(When you temporarily turn off the 5 GHz you will disconnect any users who are connected to that band until you switch it back on again so best check with any family members, if you need to, to avoid becoming the most unpopular person in your home!)

Sorry. How do I log into the Hub? LHS = left hand side?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@caesarrye wrote:

Sorry. How do I log into the Hub? LHS = left hand side?

Find the 'Settings' password from the sticker on the bottom of the VM hub (NOT the wifi password).

Preferably use a device which is wired into the hub with a network cable such as a laptop/PC etc. (rather than a wifi connection) as you are going to be changing the wifi settings.

In a web browser, in the address bar, enter 192.168.0.1. Press the return/enter key.

At the login page enter the settings password. Follow the instructions at #4

LHS = left hand side

Thank you, gosglow. Got that now

gosglow, worked a treat. Thank you so much.