Menu
Philhutchinson
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Limiting speed for users

Due to covid and more people being at home my home broadband frequently gets hammered.

I have 2 teenage children at home who regularly streaming catch up tv or videos from the internet - usually on iphones or tablets.

I also have 3 google hubs attached and I work from home and need good internet access to do my job.

I have a 200mb connection.

I think i need a new router that has QOS and can also limit the devices by mac address so that i can put the teenagers tablets down the priority list over my laptop so that i dont have issues but which is the best recommened way to go.

I have seen on here users talking about ubiquiti but I would need to ensure that wifi is kept working?

Does anyone have a recommendation, I was also thinking the netgear nighthawks series but I keep reading that they crash?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Limiting speed for users

are you technically mined? because if you aren't then avoid uniquit kit. it requires a certain level of networking knowledge to configure it, it's not a "plug and play" system like an ISP supplied router.

what's your budget?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Philhutchinson
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have been around computer for years so fairly technical but my budget I am happy to spend up to £150 to sort this.

thanks

Phil

0 Kudos
Philhutchinson
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just an update, I have changed my package now to the 500mb package. We still have a lot of devices fighting for speed and some are hardwired into the network. With a 500mb package is it worth replacing the virgin hub to install a router with some form of QOS so I can ensure that I am able to work consistently, or will 500mb be enough to solve this issue...

We have 3 PC's connected
1 Xbox - used for Games and You tube streaming
3 Google Homes
1 Alexa
2 Samsung Mobile phones (usually 1)
2 Iphones
1 Ipad - streaming TV programmes

Thanks in advance
Phil
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Going by your other posts, you need something to control your upload if you're saturating it and not able to make video calls.

But then again it depends which of these devices are being used simultaneously and for what activities.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos