Menu
SammyGamgee
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Lengthening of Outside Cable

I have had Virgin home phone and Broadband services for many years, but I am now having a new driveway installed. It appears that the original laid by Nynex was appallingly laid and sits less than 1cm into the old concrete and is now sitting just above the concrete - consequently there is no slack whatsoever on the cable and will not be able to submerge under the new surface when laid - it is also not in any protective conduit like my neighbors whose service was installed much later. Can someone advise of a number where I can discussed this being rectified, and could this please be a UK number rather than an Asian Call Centre please .... it is rather urgent as the driveway guys are on my premises at this very moment?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lengthening of Outside Cable

You would also need to pay a £99 non-fault callout charge to have this work done.

It also depends whether it needs a full repull as well.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

there is no "UK number".

you also are unlikely to get a VM reply today it can take a few days.
0 Kudos
SammyGamgee
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I seem to have made some headway .... phoned the 150 number again and got through to what I believe was the Indian call centre. They said yet again that there was nothing that they could do, so I said that I will have to look for a new supplier as this work had to be done urgently or not at all. The guy said he could put me through topo retention, and whilst I did wonder what the heck they could do I thought 'in for a penny'? The lady there, which I think was in Scotland, said exactly the same but said she could put me through to 'Technical'. Again I was given the same line about Covid, but when I explained yet again the inconsistency of it given the various different scenarios she eventually came back saying that she could do it and organized an engineer appointment for me for tomorrow morning - no mention of having to pay £99, I just think that common sense prevailed in the end.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I imagine the engineer will turn up tomorrow and say "not my job" and walk away...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
SammyGamgee
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The girl from 'Technical' that I spoke to knew exactly what the job was, and went to confirm with a superior before making the appointment - she had that conversation and came back with the appointment time and date, so I would be even more annoyed if the engineer played hard to get on arrival- and would definitely be cancelling my Virgin Media contract on the spot.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Some of the cable installations are awful and a ‘ticking time bomb’ waiting for faults or issues arising.

I used to be involved in doing it properly back in the day, with rules such as at least 300/450mm depth (spade or more) and duct or armoured cable and so on. I even studied it at college and on courses. It that was all abandoned as firms wanted it done on the cheap, often by unsupervised contractors.

When Virgin came here they made it clear they were only going to be on site for 20 minutes.  At least I managed to get them to use conduit and dig deeper than they wanted to.

Point is, where the shoddy work causes issues like this further down the road, VM should get it sorted.

I hope you get it all resolved.

Sometimes a waterproof joint can be used rather than a complete re-pull, though that would be better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Will see I guess.

Although if you're midway through a fixed term contract you won't be able to leave penalty free as that won't be grounds for early exit.

0 Kudos
SammyGamgee
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To be honest I hadn't noticed this as a problem until we surveyed the drive, as its in an area  where I need to go very rarely. When I actually saw it there was 3/4 of the cable length just lying on the surface of the concrete. I should have known because when they came to install all those years ago they discovered that the groundworks team hadn't dug the tunnel across the road which is where the green cabinet was - I had to wait three weeks for that to be completed, although did get 3 months free in recompense 🙂 .... and the annoying thing here is the use of Covid as an excuse when the engineer doesn't even had to enter the house to do this.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The COVID excuse is being used to prioritise faults over non faults as well as the access issue.

The original franchises that the companies took from the Cable Authority of the time was very pressing on the number of homes to be passed in the initial period, so if the build in a street hit a problem of some kind which caused a delay, the street would usually end up not finished properly.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks