Menu
Jaffacaique
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Hub powered on 24/7

Is it safe to leave my VirginMedia Hub powered on 24/7 as I currently switch it off every evening?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Hub powered on 24/7

yes.. 🙂

0 Kudos
Jaffacaique
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is this recommended by virgin media or own experience?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

it's not only safe to do so, but it's something that you should also be doing.

you should not be turning it off every night.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM hubs aren't like Openreach modems, and there's no harm to the connection quality in turning them off (other than the six minutes to come back on line).

Because a VM hub is quite a hungry little beast at 12W or so and doesn't have any effective standby mode, the total power use of these things adds up (there's around 5.5 million in use), so there's an environmental gain in turning it off overnight.   Assuming that 75% of hubs are always on, that's around 50 megawatts of wasted energy when they're running overnight, and a staggering 127 GWh of wasted energy across the year.  Running flat out, Britain's biggest power station (Drax) would have to run for about a day and a half just to cover that wasted energy, and the collective cost is about £16 million pounds added to customers' energy bills.  Leaving a hub on 24/7 seems a tad wasteful to me (and I'm no green campaigner).  And there's a small saving for you.  If you spend six quid or so on a plugin timer from Screwfix, you'd save the cost in the first year that you operated it with the timer off overnight, and there's few investments these days with a one year payback. 

There's also the fact that a hub is software controlled, and in my experience benefits from regular reboots.  I've operated my hub in this way for about six years now without any problem.  Set the morning "on" time ten minutes before you ever expect to need it because of the start up time, and set the off time as reasonably late as you can so that it doesn't go when you're mid way through something - and learn how to over-ride the auto settings if you know you'll want it later at night than usual.  If everyone is out of the house in the daytime on regular hours, you could have an off period then, though that seems improbable at this point in time.

In terms of safety, hubs can (very, very rarely) overheat, but it seems no more or less safe than any other electronic device - and I'm guessing that you don't normally leave things running overnight unless they need to be on?

Unless you have a house that operates round the clock, or to a random schedule across day and night, I can't see any reason NOT to have the hub on a timer - and given the collective power being wasted, it's disappointing that the hub doesn't have a built in timer and a software "wizard" to guide users in setting it up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

no-one suggested they were like openreach modems, but thanks for including the pointless information.
you essay on the environment is a little flawed though, but we can leave that discussion for another day and thread.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In terms of energy consumption the hub should have been compliant with the EU code of conduct which has got tighter over time;

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/publication/eu-code-conduct-energy-consumption-broadband-equipment-versi...

I guess there will be an equivalent UK requirement given brexit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@spgray no-one suggested they were like openreach modems, but thanks for including the pointless information.

Thank you for your impolite, off-topic, non-value adding post that has communicated NOTHING useful to the OP.  Not the first time for you, presumably you'll soon be getting the Rude Irrelevant Cynic badge?   That a hub doesn't operate like a VDSL modem is ENTIRELY pertinent to a discussion as to whether to switch it off, because anybody with experience of a VDSL connection will be used to the formal advice to leave it running 24/7. 

you essay on the environment is a little flawed though, but we can leave that discussion for another day and thread.

No we can't.  If you're going to accuse somebody of error, you retract it, or you justify it.  There's a third option, of simply looking a complete [DELETED].  So perhaps you'd be so good as to educate me on the flaws in my reasoning?  Feel free to start a new thread in Community Natter, because if you keep on with irrelevant and inaccurate sniping in this one it'll be another thread that you've been involved in where the Mods have to wade in and issue warnings.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VIP member post reported for breaking forum rules - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/Please-read-the-Forum-Guidelines-first/td-p/2

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Jaffacaique wrote:

Is it safe to leave my VirginMedia Hub powered on 24/7 as I currently switch it off every evening? &

Is this recommended by virgin media or own experience?

In terms of safety it's covered by the manufacturers declaration of conformity to EU standards/directive.  EN 62368 will cover being on 24/7.

The Hub 3 is made by Arris, model is TG2492.

The documentation is available on the Arris website;

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDOC_EU

https://arris.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#30000000kUAL/a/a00000005VNu/BSw27aAFMhcwyM_DGNVtYj3Mm3Mx.qtvW...

I don't know if VM have their own declaration but they can point to that of Arris.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos